Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weird graphics card behavior

Zeke_

So a few nights ago I had a situation where my graphics card just decided to die on me completely, this happened to be the night right before I got an SSD which I've since installed in my system. I was playing a game and suddenly my screen cut to black and my GPU wouldn't post. I switched to integrated graphics to make sure that that was the issue and it worked fine. The day of my SSD arrival I booted up my PC one last time with the GPU in it just to see if it would work and all of the sudden it was working fine again, tested it with some games and such and all is well. Then I got my SSD all set up and since then, getting my graphics card to act normally has been hell. Everything will be going fine and then all of a sudden the input from the card will cut completely and my monitor doesn't recognize that anything is plugged in and the only thing that seems to make it go back to normal again is pressing and holding the physical power button on my case, when this happens I can still hear audio and if i click anywhere it will make the noise that it makes when theres an error or something and you have to click "okay" if you know what im talking about. Not sure what to do about it, everything else in my system is working fine, I'm just not sure what to do about this one. Ive reinstalled drivers multiple times, theyre fully up to date and ive done 3 fresh installs of windows in hopes that it would help it as well. I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

I've got a feeling there's a physical issue with the card. Your best bet would most likely be to RMA it.

It's odd that it's acting up only after installing the SSD. You say you've reinstalled drivers and re-installed windows and tried integrated graphics etc...

However, have you actually removed the GPU and reseated it and the power cables? I'd assume so, but figure I'd verify since you didn't mention it.
There isn't much that can go wrong installing an SSD but things started going wrong after that so the GPU getting bumped and not making a perfect connection is the only obvious issue that could arise apart from actual damage. However, that said I've had cards just drop dead with no warning before so it's not unheard of.

I'd say it's likely you'll have to RMA which your warranty should still cover. 

- Personal Rig -

i7-4770K / 32GB Corsair DDR3-1600 Dominator Platinum / EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra
Gigabyte G1. Sniper 5 / Noctua NH-D15 ThermalTake X71 / EVGA G2 750W / 500GB SSD [RAID 0]

- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Cambridge Audio DAC Magic+ w/ Balanced XLR
- Budget Home Theatre Equipment -

Polk RTiA7's | Velodyne DPS-12 | Polk CSi30 Denon AVR-X3500H

1 minute ago, KnightSirius said:

It's odd that it's acting up only after installing the SSD. You say you've reinstalled drivers and re-installed windows and tried integrated graphics etc...

However, have you actually removed the GPU and reseated it and the power cables? I'd assume so, but figure I'd verify since you didn't mention it.
There isn't much that can go wrong installing an SSD but things started going wrong after that so the GPU getting bumped and not making a perfect connection is the only obvious issue that could arise apart from actual damage. However, that said I've had cards just drop dead with no warning before so it's not unheard of.

I'd say it's likely you'll have to RMA which your warranty should still cover. 

I reseated the card the night it first went black on me, then I kinda just angrily went to bed but when I woke up the next morning it started working-ish again. One thing I just thought of tho is that I did have kind of an aggressive overclock on the card before this happened, could that have done anything?

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

Just now, Zeke_ said:

I reseated the card the night it first went black on me, then I kinda just angrily went to bed but when I woke up the next morning it started working-ish again. One thing I just thought of tho is that I did have kind of an aggressive overclock on the card before this happened, could that have done anything?

That is certainly relevant information, overclocking can shorten the life of the device if it's not cooled properly but I doubt it was overheating unless you were torturing it.
Can't know for sure if it really contributed to it's failure and unless there is damage to the card itself from overheating which is pretty unlikely Gigabyte won't be able to tell either.

- Personal Rig -

i7-4770K / 32GB Corsair DDR3-1600 Dominator Platinum / EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra
Gigabyte G1. Sniper 5 / Noctua NH-D15 ThermalTake X71 / EVGA G2 750W / 500GB SSD [RAID 0]

- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Cambridge Audio DAC Magic+ w/ Balanced XLR
- Budget Home Theatre Equipment -

Polk RTiA7's | Velodyne DPS-12 | Polk CSi30 Denon AVR-X3500H