Bent pins galore...

So today I decided to buy a liquid cooler and in my haste for better temps I forgot the crucial bit of running my PC for a few minutes before swapping coolers. So when it came time to remove my old wraith stealth I noticed it wasn't wanting to come off very easily like it should have, but the back plate had already come off so I just gave it a decent tug and then when I took a look at the bottom...golden pins. DAMN PGA! I tried just pushing on the corners...no luck. I tried getting a scraping tool underneath...nope. So then I went to trusty Youtube, everyone was recommending rubbing alcohol and dental floss. I put rubbing alcohol around the edges and tried using thread instead of floss and that didn't work. At this point I was getting pretty desperate so I resorted to pushing on the edges again and Bam! It broke loose, but not before my sausage-esque thumb had something to say about it. Three rows of pins were bent before I even knew it came loose. I then proceeded to spend the next two hours painstakingly bending each pin back into position. After that disaster was averted I then proceeded with the installation of my AIO as if nothing had happened. I must have done something right because here I am typing this out on my now liquid cooled CPU.

TL;DR: I forgot to warm up my thermal paste before swapping cooling blocks, resulting in bent pins and panic.

I guess this explains why my Athlon 64s like to come out of the socket with their coolers.

Oddly enough, out of all my PGA chips, those are the only ones that do it. My Ryzen 5 1600 doesn't do it, my mobile Intel chips don't, my Athlon MPs don't, my A6-5400K doesn't.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

People give PGA flak for having the CPU be vulnerable instead of the motherboard but those suckers are tough, I'd rather bend a PGA pin instead of LGA

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

People give PGA flak for having the CPU be vulnerable instead of the motherboard but those suckers are tough, I'd rather bend a PGA pin instead of LGA

You've got a good point, I didn't think about it like that. I should be grateful for not having to replace a mobo.

16 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I guess this explains why my Athlon 64s like to come out of the socket with their coolers.

Oddly enough, out of all my PGA chips, those are the only ones that do it. My Ryzen 5 1600 doesn't do it, my mobile Intel chips don't, my Athlon MPs don't, my A6-5400K doesn't.

Well it's definitely not fun dealing with it. Glad that you don't have to deal with it too much.

Just now, HuskyTomato said:

Well it's definitely not fun dealing with it. Glad that you don't have to deal with it too much.

Yeah, they usually pop off pretty nicely too.

I usually just grab the corners of the package and twist it, they usually pop right off without problems.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!