Is my cpu overheating?

I keep getting exclamation marks next to some cores on core temp when playing csgo only csgo other games such as rainbow are fine.

this is meant to show overheating?

go on my profile to check my specs.

is this bad? will it hurt my cpu? is there any way to downclock/undervoltage it to stop this from happening? no i will not do a repaste.

many thanks

CoreTemp-Scr.png

2 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

is there any way to downclock/undervoltage it to stop this from happening?

Undervolt your CPU using Intel XTU

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

-Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory-

45C isn't a worrying temperature at all. If it's not thermal throttling and not straight up shutting down, I'd personally just leave it as is.

Is there a reason you're so against repasting it? Granted it shouldn't need repasting already anyway, but I'm just curious.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

45C isn't a worrying temperature at all

Those max temps are a different story, almost all at or above 90. That's definitely where the throttling kicks in 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Those max temps are a different story, almost all at or above 90. That's definitely where the throttling kicks in 

TJMAX is 100 by default with Intel with anything above 95 started to throttle down. 

Learned all this today while playing with my own overclock!

CPU: Intel i-9 9900KF
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill 32GB 3200MHz Sniper X
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2060
Case: Fractual Design Define S
Storage: Intel 760p 265GB SSD x2, Intel 760p 1TB SSD
PSU: Aerocool Project 7 650W
Display: ASUS VG278QR
Cooling: Noctua D-15S

Sound: ASUS Strix Soar

Ignore the current temps, that’s at idle. Look at the temps that say ‘max’, that was during cs go. It reached 98 Celsius then core temp says it overheated by the exclamation mark next to it, I’m asking if that’s worrying.

On 12/26/2018 at 5:12 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

45C isn't a worrying temperature at all. If it's not thermal throttling and not straight up shutting down, I'd personally just leave it as is.

Is there a reason you're so against repasting it? Granted it shouldn't need repasting already anyway, but I'm just curious.

Spent 2 grand on a pc only to have to take it part I don’t like the idea of that. 

Also it voids warranty (or any warranty on the cpu/near cpu components) which I don’t want to risk just incase stuff does go wrong.

I will look at undervolting with intel XTU. Currently I think my cpu throttles to about 3.9ghz. Any clue how much I should undervolt?

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

Spent 2 grand on a pc only to have to take it part I don’t like the idea of that. 

Also it voids warranty (or any warranty on the cpu/near cpu components) which I don’t want to risk just incase stuff does go wrong.

Undervolting is your best option, then.

As well as trying to see if you can maximize airflow and maybe increase the fan curve by a bit.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Undervolting is your best option, then.

As well as trying to see if you can maximize airflow and maybe increase the fan curve by a bit.

I tried doing that but have no clue lol.

the Alienware. Built in software has horrible fan curve options as it only has 3 points on the curve to move and the backlash from each one is huge lol so it’s either too much or not enough and I tried using MSI afterburner but it didn’t let me change the fan speed for some reason and I googled around it said msi afterburner fan speed doesn’t change on laptops.

1 minute ago, The Torrent said:

the Alienware. Built in software has horrible fan curve options as it only has 3 points on the curve to move and the backlash from each one is huge lol so it’s either too much or not enough and I tried using MSI afterburner but it didn’t let me change the fan speed for some reason and I googled around it said msi afterburner fan speed doesn’t change on laptops.

Try SpeedFan instead.

8 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

That sounds to me like those are 3pin fans being altered by voltages rather than 4pin PWM fans.  I don't know how long you've had the computer, but it might be worth checking any fans/heatsinks/radiators/filters for dust build up.  Gotta keep that cool air coming in and hot air getting out.

18 minutes ago, Swarlos said:

That sounds to me like those are 3pin fans being altered by voltages rather than 4pin PWM fans.  I don't know how long you've had the computer, but it might be worth checking any fans/heatsinks/radiators/filters for dust build up.  Gotta keep that cool air coming in and hot air getting out.

2 days lol

28 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Try SpeedFan instead.

Ok thanks will try in the morning,

Well Intel mobile high end CPUs are toasty.

If you cant undervolt the chip you could try disabling turbo boost in bios or limit execution under windows to somewhere 80%.

Just understand that you will loose performance in exchange of less heat output. That CPU is just too much to cool down in a mobile device, and intel doesn't even care.

On 12/26/2018 at 6:49 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Try SpeedFan instead.

speedfan wont work i go to configure there are no fans to select and i cant add anything its all greyed out.

how much should i undervolt

On 12/26/2018 at 5:11 PM, r2724r16 said:

Undervolt your CPU using Intel XTU

i have done that now. Not sure if it made a difference to performance will check in a bit. Someone just told me it looses its settings the moment you restart. Is this true??

After running tests 100 mv undervoltage it seems to run stable at 68-73 Celsius package.

many thanks guys.

now I need to find something that will let me undervoltage permanently as XTU will just reset every time it restarts. Any ideas?

4 hours ago, The Torrent said:

After running tests 100 mv undervoltage it seems to run stable at 68-73 Celsius package.

many thanks guys.

now I need to find something that will let me undervoltage permanently as XTU will just reset every time it restarts. Any ideas?

Can you not undervolt from the BIOS?

Can you give us the exact model you have there? I mean, laptops can get warm but gaming laptops have a lot more cooling. I'd really be p****d off if my new device thermal throttles in CS:Go. If it was a desktop system I'd already have contacted support or have sent it back.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

34 minutes ago, bowrilla said:

Can you give us the exact model you have there? I mean, laptops can get warm but gaming laptops have a lot more cooling. I'd really be p****d off if my new device thermal throttles in CS:Go. If it was a desktop system I'd already have contacted support or have sent it back.

Alienware 17 r5 go on my profile to view exact specs.

On 12/27/2018 at 4:46 PM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Can you not undervolt from the BIOS?

Sorry for late reply.

cant find any option to do it from the bios so I’m guessing not.

is there no software that will permanently do it?