Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New PC "panics" randomly

So i just built up a brand new Ryzen system (the one in my signature) and out of nowhere my PC has sort of panicked randomly a couple times over the last few days. The monitors would go black and the fans would kick to 100% and i would have to flip the PSU switch as it wouldn't respond to the power button. At first i though this may be due to a GPU overclock (50-100Mhz on a 2070) but i'm thinking it's something else as this time as i opened the bios and saw only 8GB of my 16GB was showing up. When i first build the PC a few days ago only 8GB showed up so i swapped the sticks and everything was fine, however it happening again leads me to believe something is wrong. I'm not sure whats causing this as everything is running at stock speeds.

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700 CPU Cooler - Cooler Master ML240R Motherboard - ASUS X470-PRO RAM - Team Group Vulcan 2400Mhz 16GB GPU - EVGA RTX 2070 Black SSD - Kingston A400 120GB, ADATA SU650 1TB HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU - Seasonic Focus+ 650W Case - Fractal Design Define C Keyboard - Corsair K60 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech LS21 2.1 w/ sub Headphones - ATM 50X Racing Wheel - Logitech G27 Monitors -  ASUS VS228H-P x2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you isolate the potentially faulty stick, and then run only the good one for a while? Also, try running memtest (the bootable one) as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, TempestCatto said:

Can you isolate the potentially faulty stick, and then run only the good one for a while? Also, try running memtest (the bootable one) as well.

i checked the bios and it wasn't the stick, it was the same A2 slot not recognizing the stick as when i first built it. i switched both over to B1 and B2 for troubleshooting but it sounds like it might be a bad memory controller?

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700 CPU Cooler - Cooler Master ML240R Motherboard - ASUS X470-PRO RAM - Team Group Vulcan 2400Mhz 16GB GPU - EVGA RTX 2070 Black SSD - Kingston A400 120GB, ADATA SU650 1TB HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU - Seasonic Focus+ 650W Case - Fractal Design Define C Keyboard - Corsair K60 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech LS21 2.1 w/ sub Headphones - ATM 50X Racing Wheel - Logitech G27 Monitors -  ASUS VS228H-P x2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

The way you worded it I thought you for sure had a bad stick of ram. My bad. Its 1am for me so someone else will hopefully step in. Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

The way you worded it I thought you for sure had a bad stick of ram. My bad. Its 1am for me so someone else will hopefully step in. Good luck.

no i had just went back into the bios to see which stick wasn't recognized and noticed it was the same slot as when i had first built it. i switched both sticks after you had commented

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700 CPU Cooler - Cooler Master ML240R Motherboard - ASUS X470-PRO RAM - Team Group Vulcan 2400Mhz 16GB GPU - EVGA RTX 2070 Black SSD - Kingston A400 120GB, ADATA SU650 1TB HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU - Seasonic Focus+ 650W Case - Fractal Design Define C Keyboard - Corsair K60 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech LS21 2.1 w/ sub Headphones - ATM 50X Racing Wheel - Logitech G27 Monitors -  ASUS VS228H-P x2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, TheNerdyCanadian said:

i checked the bios and it wasn't the stick, it was the same A2 slot not recognizing the stick as when i first built it. i switched both over to B1 and B2 for troubleshooting but it sounds like it might be a bad memory controller?

If you've correctly diagnosed that the A2 slot isn't working I'd recommend sending the motherboard back for RMA. 

 

I'm not sure I understand how you had the RAM set when the problem occured.  You had one stick in A2 and another stick in B2? If you had them in A2 and B1, I'm not sure it would have worked. 

 

You should try one stick in A1 and another stick in B1.  You should also try one stick in A1 and the other in A2.  You don't want to be dealing with a busted RAM slot if you don't have to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2018 at 11:43 PM, Swarlos said:

If you've correctly diagnosed that the A2 slot isn't working I'd recommend sending the motherboard back for RMA. 

 

I'm not sure I understand how you had the RAM set when the problem occured.  You had one stick in A2 and another stick in B2? If you had them in A2 and B1, I'm not sure it would have worked. 

 

You should try one stick in A1 and another stick in B1.  You should also try one stick in A1 and the other in A2.  You don't want to be dealing with a busted RAM slot if you don't have to.

yeah sorry it was late when i typed that, i meant to say the B1 slot wasn't showing anything, i moved the sticks to A2 and B2.

CPU - Ryzen 7 2700 CPU Cooler - Cooler Master ML240R Motherboard - ASUS X470-PRO RAM - Team Group Vulcan 2400Mhz 16GB GPU - EVGA RTX 2070 Black SSD - Kingston A400 120GB, ADATA SU650 1TB HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB PSU - Seasonic Focus+ 650W Case - Fractal Design Define C Keyboard - Corsair K60 Mouse - Logitech G602 Speakers - Logitech LS21 2.1 w/ sub Headphones - ATM 50X Racing Wheel - Logitech G27 Monitors -  ASUS VS228H-P x2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, TheNerdyCanadian said:

yeah sorry it was late when i typed that, i meant to say the B1 slot wasn't showing anything, i moved the sticks to A2 and B2.

If you've identified a bad memory slot you should probably send the motherboard back for RMA.  You might get away with avoiding it for now, but you might want to upgrade your RAM further down the line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×