CAD Portable Workstation

So a neighbour of mine has asked me to find him a workstation suitable laptop for CAD/SolidWorks and other related programs.

The price points between 500-1200 realistically, its for college. Obviously needs to be windows for compatibility. If anyone could recommend me a laptop to recommend to him for this sort of work it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Your options at that pricepoint are few and far-between, but here's a listing I found that would be suitable, although it may need a RAM upgrade:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP7VS8108&Description=laptop quadro&cm_re=laptop_quadro-_-34-270-034-_-Product

More realistically, a laptop workstation is going to cost around $2,000 for a laptop with a better GPU, suitable amounts of RAM, and a large, fast SSD. He would likely benefit more from getting an entry-level desktop workstation that he could upgrade in the future and a cheap, thin and light laptop for taking notes in class. 

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8Ghz w/ Arctic Freezer 33 Tower Cooler | MSI B450 Tomahawk |  32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200MHz CAS 14 

Sapphire RX 5700XT Pulse | EVGA 650w GQ 80+ Gold Semi-Modular  |  XPG SX6000 512GB Nvme SSD | NZXT H500

Acer XF270HU - 1440p 144Hz Freeesync IPS | Corsair Strafe - Cherry MX Red  |  Logitech G502

for that price range your only real option is used as you'll need a Quadro and they don't come cheap. 

K5100M (cheap but low performance) or M3000M (or higher) machines will absolutely smash most projects out of the park and can be picked up fairly cheap these days. 

Especially when compared to the P600 above. 

idk

4 hours ago, leo1798 said:

Your options at that pricepoint are few and far-between, but here's a listing I found that would be suitable, although it may need a RAM upgrade:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6ZP7VS8108&Description=laptop quadro&cm_re=laptop_quadro-_-34-270-034-_-Product

More realistically, a laptop workstation is going to cost around $2,000 for a laptop with a better GPU, suitable amounts of RAM, and a large, fast SSD. He would likely benefit more from getting an entry-level desktop workstation that he could upgrade in the future and a cheap, thin and light laptop for taking notes in class. 

Yeah I was talking to him in the car and I knew a desktop would be way more suitable for his usage but he needs the portability. I also looked at that listing unfortunately its 2000+ where I live (Import tax and shit like that I believe)

4 hours ago, Droidbot said:

for that price range your only real option is used as you'll need a Quadro and they don't come cheap. 

K5100M (cheap but low performance) or M3000M (or higher) machines will absolutely smash most projects out of the park and can be picked up fairly cheap these days. 

Especially when compared to the P600 above. 

Yeah I know Quadro dominates the workstation processing, we have them in my school but I'm not sure if its in the cards unfortunately