Computer Build or Pre Built?

attk11

Hey Guys,

Budget: is $1500 - $2000 (All in max price)

Aim: Battlefield 5 max settings (Not DXR)

Monitors: I have a Samsung SyncMaster 226BW

Peripherals: I have Logitech: G930 headset, G700 mouse, dinovo edge keyboard

Why are you upgrading?: leaving console again going back to PC.

Wishes/Wants: Bluetooth, wifi, game at 1080p, NO RGB lights or very few, 256 SSD, 2-4 TB storage

History 

Built pc to played BF 1942 till BF2 came out (XP).  Played BF2 and mods till 2009, friends got playstation 3’s played till 2011.

2011 I built (had NCIX assemble $50) for BF 3 (Windows 7).  Played BF3 till fall of 2017 when brother in laws got xbox s’s played cod ww2 for the last year and hate controllers and no choice in servers.

My thought was to turn the 2011 into NAS/plex server and use the new for gaming.  I always have intentions of being able to upgrade the computers I build in the future, the only time I did this though was adding a second SLI graphics card to my last machine.  I’ve read that it's often better to just buy a newer single card, that you can get better performance.

If you suggest a monitor upgrade, I’d prefer to grab one off Costco.ca (easy returns if something is wrong).  I've always thought that I would use a TV as the monitor (hence wireless mouse, keyboard, and headset) but that's never come to fruition, not saying it won't.

One of my concerns with building is getting all the software working properly.  I’ve never overclocked, my lack of skill holds me back and I also prefer stability/reliability/longevity of the computer.  On my last build I started getting memory blue screen errors after adding a second set of RAM.  I’m not really sure how or when to do driver and hardware updates.  Not sure if Windows 10 make any of this easier or takes care of it for you.

I was looking at just buying this pre built Dell from Costco for simplicity:

https://www.costco.ca/Dell-Inspiron-5680-Desktop%2c-i7-8700.product.100412137.html

Thanks in advance!

The info on this site gives me more confidence to build.

If you want to go the prebuilt route, I would use NZXT BLD, all of their parts are reasonably priced and they charge you a $100 assembly fee.

First Build - Ryzen 3 2200G, ASRock B450M Pro 4, MSI Gaming X GTX 1660, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB DDR4-3000, MyDigitalSSD BPX 256 GB M.2 SSD, WD Caviar Blue 640 GB 7200 RPM HDD, Corsair Air 240, Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Semi, MSI Optix MAG24MVC, Sunsonny S-J5, Corsair M65 Pro

here's what I could come up with

Intel better cpu worse gpu:

ryzen better gpu worse cpu:

7 minutes ago, Happycowdance said:

Cool thanks,

Could I go with less of a GPU like a 1070?  then upgrade that card in a few years when prices come down?  I could put some of that cash into storage on the old pc (NAS) or a monitor.

Oh another question is my monitor ok for this system?  I think it's DVI input, obviously I'd need an adapter to displayport.

2 hours ago, attk11 said:

Cool thanks,

Could I go with less of a GPU like a 1070?  then upgrade that card in a few years when prices come down?  I could put some of that cash into storage on the old pc (NAS) or a monitor.

Oh another question is my monitor ok for this system?  I think it's DVI input, obviously I'd need an adapter to displayport.

holy heck that monitor is old lemme make a new build that includes the monitor

Does the PCPartPicker prices update with price changes?  If I want to wait till boxing day and see if deals come up will the links still be good then?