280mm top mount setup?

TimidMage66

Since my first 360mm strategy was a bad idea, I came up with a new one:

Top mount a 280mm radiator, with fans at the bottom. Put three balanced airflow fans at the front (120mm), in order to provide decent airflow while moving through the dust filter effectively. The 140mm size of the fans in the radiator, plus a 120mm airflow fan at the back would balance airflow.

The cooler I want to use is a Deepcool Castle RGB 280mm. I'm still either considering the Crystal 460x or Meshify C as my cases. I also want to get fans that are RGB, but since I don't want to mix fan manufacturers too much I'm probably going to go with CoolerMaster fans, since they offer static, balanced and airflow fans.

Is this strategya good one? Any problems with it? How can I improve it? I know it would be worth adjusting the speeds of the fans, but I wish to know which designs are the best at their jobs.

You’re over thinking it a bit... as long as you have a few case fans, you’ll be fine. Two intakes and two exhausts will provide a good balance of airflow. You’re more than welcome to go with 3 and 3 if that’s what you want though

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

34 minutes ago, TimidMage66 said:

Since my first 360mm strategy was a bad idea, I came up with a new one:

Top mount a 280mm radiator, with fans at the bottom. Put three balanced airflow fans at the front (120mm), in order to provide decent airflow while moving through the dust filter effectively. The 140mm size of the fans in the radiator, plus a 120mm airflow fan at the back would balance airflow.

The cooler I want to use is a Deepcool Castle RGB 280mm. I'm still either considering the Crystal 460x or Meshify C as my cases. I also want to get fans that are RGB, but since I don't want to mix fan manufacturers too much I'm probably going to go with CoolerMaster fans, since they offer static, balanced and airflow fans.

Is this strategya good one? Any problems with it? How can I improve it? I know it would be worth adjusting the speeds of the fans, but I wish to know which designs are the best at their jobs.

Yeah, you’re overthinking it. Just have the same at least 2 exhausts and 2 intakes, and the number of intake fans should always be greater than or equal to the exhaust fans. Make sure the fans on the radiator have decent static pressure(I have fans that are 1.7mmH2O on my friend’s 240 rad and it works fine). Also make sure the fans on the rad are set to exhaust so you don’t introduce hot air into the system

12 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Yeah, you’re overthinking it. Just have the same at least 2 exhausts and 2 intakes, and the number of intake fans should always be greater than or equal to the exhaust fans. Make sure the fans on the radiator have decent static pressure(I have fans that are 1.7mmH2O on my friend’s 240 rad and it works fine). Also make sure the fans on the rad are set to exhaust so you don’t introduce hot air into the system

Would it be a bad idea to have three 120s as intake and one 120 + two 140s (with radiator) as exhaust? Should I get a 240mm instead?

you can't be sure about effectiveness unless the air displacement and wattage is shown too :D  

for instance I just went over some be quiet case fans and the range is incredible from 1,4 w fans with 1 cubic meter of air displacement to 5 watt fans with almost 3 cubic meters of air displacement

1 minute ago, TimidMage66 said:

Would it be a bad idea to have three 120s as intake and one 120 + two 140s (with radiator) as exhaust? Should I get a 240mm instead?

What do you mean 240mm? as in a 240mm radiator? 240vs 280mm radiator doesn’t have much difference. 

18 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

What do you mean 240mm? as in a 240mm radiator? 240vs 280mm radiator doesn’t have much difference. 

I mean radiator, which could decrease the size of the fans.

4 minutes ago, TimidMage66 said:

I mean radiator, which could decrease the size of the fans.

Depends on what you’re cooling. Either 240mm or 280mm is fine, but with 280 the pressure in your case would be slightly negative(positive/neutral is desired). You could counter this by making the 120mm exhaust fan run at a slower speed though

28 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

Depends on what you’re cooling. Either 240mm or 280mm is fine, but with 280 the pressure in your case would be slightly negative(positive/neutral is desired). You could counter this by making the 120mm exhaust fan run at a slower speed though

I thought of getting a 280mm since I thought the radiator at the top would block exhaust, therefore I thi k creating more positive pressure.