Is it to late to make a cache?

djewell314

So I built my first pc and I have a 250Gb samsung evo and a 1Tb WD Blue. I want to put a 30Gb cache on my HDD but I already have programs and games on the drives and was wondering if it was posible to make the cache without corrupting my data, and if so how?

P.S. I'm a real noob when it comes to storage am an not sure what I am doing.

at this stage you could do it with software, but the cache would be wiped and re-loaded with each shutdown and boot.

250GB is a fair bit of space. Presuming you're just installing stuff on it and not storing videos/games on it, it should be sufficient space anyway.

generally speaking the loading time gains in games (in my opinion <<<) is not worth the space used on an SSD. I would only install games you play ALL THE TIME, on the SSD.

I've filled just under 60GB of my SSD, and to be fair a lot of that is crap that doesn't need to be there.

Edit: with a quick 5 minute clean up, down to 40GB of used space on my 240GB ssd. 

You might find 250GB is enough for anything that you were considering caching on the drive, stored locally.

Caching will also reduce the life of your ssd.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

at this stage you could do it with software, but the cache would be wiped and re-loaded with each shutdown and boot.

250GB is a fair bit of space. Presuming you're just installing stuff on it and not storing videos/games on it, it should be sufficient space anyway.

generally speaking the loading time gains in games (in my opinion <<<) is not worth the space used on an SSD. I would only install games you play ALL THE TIME, on the SSD.

I've filled just under 60GB of my SSD, and to be fair a lot of that is crap that doesn't need to be there.

Edit: with a quick 5 minute clean up, down to 40GB of used space on my 240GB ssd. 

You might find 250GB is enough for anything that you were considering caching on the drive, stored locally.

Caching will also reduce the life of your ssd.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still kind of new to certain parts of PCs and wasn't sure what makes considerable differences and what doesn't.

That's no worries, that's what we're here for.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4