Mobo/CPU Replacement Recommendation

Epitome_Inc

Hey guys,

A few months ago yall helped me decide on an upgrade to my GPU, and now I'm looking at upgrading my mobo/CPU. I currently have an EVGA x58 SLI and i7-920. I recently increased my RAM to 24GB (six 4GB sticks) and would be looking to stay with DDR3 for now. What would be a cost-effective ($200 CAD) replacement for that mobo/CPU combo that would give me some extra juice? I've seen some places recommending just getting a better used CPU like a Xeon, but I'm loathe to short anything on the board to enable compatibility. What are your thoughts?

Budget?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

The newest system your RAM could work with is X79 or 4th Gen Z97/Z97 (but you can only use 4 sticks), or the B or H series 8X series.

There is a decent performance jump between the first and second gen Core i series.

Depending on your board you might be able to jump to a Xeon

I should add that I just found out I can get an i5-4570 for free. Based on this page it's 50% better than the i7-920. Do you guys agree?

4570 would be an upgrade, though a 4th gen i7 would be an upgrade compared to that (has hyper threading)

You will be limited to 4 sticks of ram so 16GB of your total 24GB

12 minutes ago, Epitome_Inc said:

I should add that I just found out I can get an i5-4570 for free. Based on this page it's 50% better than the i7-920. Do you guys agree?

I think that's a good way to get your foot in the door. The very best CPU for gaming that natively uses DDR3 (outside of some specialty motherboards) is the i7 4790k. A good Z87 motherboard is less than $150 and will be just what you need. Or, you can buy my Z97 (shameless plug)

I posted that it was US only but I'm really flexible at this point, gotta change that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I appreciate the responses guys, and the offer from fasauceome. How does this mobo look for that CPU?