Upgrading Custom Build vs Origin PC?

Go to solution Solved by mopman94,

Sounds like you should do some maintenance on what you have already, clean out the case, make sure nothing is rubbing on the fans etc and clean out the software so stop it from running too many background tasks.

Then save up the money and buy the parts to build a PC yourself, it only takes a couple of hours and you can learn everything you need from a 20 minute video on Youtube. Origin will be putting a fairly large mark up on their PC's and if you pay monthly there will also be interest on top of that. 

So, lately I was debating on upgrading my PC. I built this thing back in 2012, and it was pretty great. Unfortunately, it's beginning to become outdated and it can't handle a lot of new games these years. CPU Usage at 100% generally a lot of the time (Mainly with Ubisoft games) and odd sounds that comes from one of the fans that never seems to get better but remain the same. It's done well, but while thinking about upgrading parts to it. I kind of don't want to go through the mess of trying to put things together again. It'd need a new CPU, GPU, PSU, and a new tower case because the Liquid Cooling fan is too big, so the side panel doesn't close fully. I thought if I could maybe find someone IRL to do it, because I do have family that does this kind of thing, I could maybe pay them to do it. Another tricky thing is, I don't remember a lot of the parts I have inside the computer, so I couldn't tell them the list unless it was from a dxdiag Plus I wouldn't know what parts to get, and then I see the Cyber Monday deal on Origin PC. It'd be a huge upgrade, especially if I get a 1080, and I could get it sooner and make monthly payments. Though another problem is, it'd be 2k. I could pay it off in time, but there's no guarantee I could pay off the 1k difference, but monthly payments would make everything easy, and I could eventually pay it off in full if I save up. I don't have much for bills, just a contract job that's off and on. What do you guys think? Would it be better to do that? I'm not sure how long my current PC is going to last with the odd fan sound that happens rarely. Mainly when it shuts down or I start to play a game.

Sounds like you should do some maintenance on what you have already, clean out the case, make sure nothing is rubbing on the fans etc and clean out the software so stop it from running too many background tasks.

Then save up the money and buy the parts to build a PC yourself, it only takes a couple of hours and you can learn everything you need from a 20 minute video on Youtube. Origin will be putting a fairly large mark up on their PC's and if you pay monthly there will also be interest on top of that. 

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

15 minutes ago, mopman94 said:

Thank you! I wasn't aware they'd be doing that. I'm sure this puppy can run until I can get that tax return. Definitely will save up for more parts. As for the maintenance. Wish I truly knew what the weird sound was, sometimes it just doesn't happen. The fans aren't being blocked or anything far as I can tell. I definitely do dust it out, not sure how to go about the programs though. I'll do some more looking around to see if I can get someone to put in parts for me when the time comes.