Considering new wireless headset

Ok!

So this is what's happening.

I want a headset for gaming. It needs to have a mic because I'm going to be using Voice Attack and also Discord/Vent/what have you for voice chat.

Now, right now I have FOUR sets of headphones, one of which has a mic:

Sennheiser HD600
Audio Technica ATH-M50

Parrot Zik (the first one)

Razer SWTOR licensed edition <- this is the headset

So here's the reasoning: I'm an audio professional so I use the HD600 and the AT for mixing and reference purposes (you need both a high end and a cheaper one for this). I got the Zik as a gift and theoretically it'd work but I've never managed to get it to work with the mic acting as a voice chat thing, although it does work for phone calls. Then, there's the Razer. This one does what it's supposed to do, but it's corded.

So, two reasons why I need a new one:

- The only one that doesn't hurt my big ears during extended use, is the Zik. But as I mentioned, I can't use that.

- I want a cordless solution

Now, reading and looking through a bunch of reviews, the one I've got my eyes on is the Steelseries Siberia 840.

The main reasons I like it:
- Base station with a volume knob that's big enough to reach without having to take my eyes off the screen

- Comes with TWO batteries, and the base charges one of them while the other sits in the headphones

- The mic is retractable and can be tucked in when not in use/storage

- Memory foam

- LED Display on the base station

- Base station has analong in and out, AND optical in and out

Now my question here is: Is wireless technology these days, caught up? Will it give me performance that's comparable to wired headphones?

And, it seems to work using, I'll guess RF? (They don't specify on the page how the base sends audio to the headset, but it does mention "frequency hopping") so that's, AFAIK, much less limited as far as audio quality is concerned, than Bluetooth.

Which also brings another question: Is it worth it getting the 840 over the 800 since the 800 doesn't have bluetooth? For that much more?

Finally, should I be looking at a different headset?

I am one with the Force, and the Force is with me.

Really? Nobody?

2 hours ago, GM Rod said:

Really? Nobody?

Your current setup is pretty decent and there's nothing to recommend that isn't a huge downgrade. Personally I'd just grab a clip-on mic and use it with the hd600 as most wireless headsets including the 840 are pretty bad regardless of price. If you really hate cables then just get something with less frills, there are plenty in 100-ish range that are equally mediocre and saved 200 bucks not getting the 800/840. 

Yeah one of the things I thought about was just adding a mic to the HD600. But it hurts my ears... And yeah I want wireless.