Need help understanding some MSI afterburner info

I'll try to keep it simple:

My specs:
i5-2500
z68ma-d2h-b3
16gb ram DDR3 corsair 1866MHz

GTX 970

Virtual memory set to the lowest possible, 16mb, because i have lots of ram

I've been playing the BF1 Beta, using MSI afterburner to check out some info about my system usage. Everything normal but 2 graphs: "RAM usage" and "Pagefile usage"

While the "RAM usage" Does not go over 11GB (task manager confirms this), the "pagefile usage" keeps forever increasing, slowsly. After about 1 hour playing, it reaches about 16.3Gb and my game crashes, and windows send me a message that there was a lack of memory and the game had to be shut down.

I get that this might be a BUG with the BF1 beta, but why does it show on this "pagefile usage" graph? shouldn't it be in the RAM usage graph?? what the heck is pagefile usage?? according to windows task manager, my ram usage never exceeds 80%, so i'm confused

Need help understanding this guys, thanks

by any chance do you have pagefile disabled?! I know a lot of people disabling this without knowing what it actually does

if you do not, there's a strong possibility that BF1 has a memory leak, would not be surprising as I saw few people complaining

---

in lamest terms, pagefile is viartual memory - but not only

I know a lot of people are having memory issues with BF1. The most I used during it was 13GB total. Some of the people I play it with were using all of their RAM.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

On 04/09/2016 at 6:11 PM, zMeul said:

by any chance do you have pagefile disabled?! I know a lot of people disabling this without knowing what it actually does

if you do not, there's a strong possibility that BF1 has a memory leak, would not be surprising as I saw few people complaining

---

in lamest terms, pagefile is viartual memory - but not only

the problem is, i really don't understand what pagefile is. What is the difference between that and RAM? and virtual memory?

Your page file is a place for RAM storage to dump into once you run out of RAM. It's on your HD/SSD. There might be some sort of memory leak since it's an open beta that's causing it to use that much. That's a bit much to fill up. :-O

3 hours ago, streetyingyang said:

Your page file is a place for RAM storage to dump into once you run out of RAM. It's on your HD/SSD. There might be some sort of memory leak since it's an open beta that's causing it to use that much. That's a bit much to fill up. :-O

but then why does the crash occur when my pagefile goes above 16.3gb? also, why is it not using my ram? i have free ram and the game does not use it

4 hours ago, Matt_SC_BR said:

the problem is, i really don't understand what pagefile is. What is the difference between that and RAM? and virtual memory?

you don't need to understand what it is, and since you don't understand what it is you should not mess with it

pagefile serves multiple roles, one of witch is virtual memory - when programs run out of space in system RAM they switch to virtual memory

1 hour ago, Matt_SC_BR said:

but then why does the crash occur when my pagefile goes above 16.3gb? also, why is it not using my ram? i have free ram and the game does not use it

I wouldn't pretend to know, but if it is having issues running up memory usage (I seriously doubt that beta map and the game needs 16GB!), it could just be a bug with the game. Running a realtime game from swap isn't really a great thing anything (your HD or SD is slower than your RAM)... maybe it causes a crash because things are out of sync? I'd ask the developers with a bug report. :-) Sure they'd be happy to help and hear about the issue.

EDIT: Just read you said your page file is going above 16 GB. That's huge as all get out. Definitely not supposed to happy.

I remember years ago doing page file size tweaks, but these days it's not something I've touched. I've got 32GB of RAM on my current machine and don't dip into swap (page file) typically. My 16GB laptop does dip into swap. If your RAM is full active stuffs, it'll start moving things into that swap/page file.

Definitely do a bug report. :-)

18 hours ago, streetyingyang said:

I wouldn't pretend to know, but if it is having issues running up memory usage (I seriously doubt that beta map and the game needs 16GB!), it could just be a bug with the game. Running a realtime game from swap isn't really a great thing anything (your HD or SD is slower than your RAM)... maybe it causes a crash because things are out of sync? I'd ask the developers with a bug report. :-) Sure they'd be happy to help and hear about the issue.

EDIT: Just read you said your page file is going above 16 GB. That's huge as all get out. Definitely not supposed to happy.

I remember years ago doing page file size tweaks, but these days it's not something I've touched. I've got 32GB of RAM on my current machine and don't dip into swap (page file) typically. My 16GB laptop does dip into swap. If your RAM is full active stuffs, it'll start moving things into that swap/page file.

Definitely do a bug report. :-)

How can i deactivate this pagefile? I want my system to use ONLY my RAM, not my SSD. I bought 16gb of RAM exactly for that purpose...