'Reviving' a ssd?

sushisky

So I've seen Linus mention this countless times in his videos. "Writing to a SSD will decrease its longevity". So I was wondering why and if there was any way to like 'revive' it, so that it performs just like new or close to new. Really curious. Googling just turned up some ssd ads .-.

Never looked into it really, however if you look at some Asus boards they advertise 'SSD Secure Erase' software solution which looks interesting. I'm in no way educated on the subject so I don't want to tell you anything incorrect.  :wacko:

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_1491&products_id=23630

Case = Bitfenix Prodigy, Motherboard = P8Z77 - I Deluxe, CPU = 3570k @ 4.2GHz, RAM = 2x 8GB G-Skill Ripjaws, GPU = Sapphire 7950 Boost Edition, Storage = 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

"The NAND flash used in SSDs can only be used for a finite number of writes. Why? Because SSDs can't write a single bit of information without first erasing and then rewriting very large blocks of data at one time. Each time a cell goes through an erase cycle, some charge is left in the floating-gate transistor, which changes its resistance. As the resistance builds, the amount of current required to change the gate increases. Eventually, the gate can't be flipped at all, rendering it useless. This decaying process doesn't affect the read capabilities of SSD, because reading only requires checking, not changing, the voltages of cells. As a result, NAND flash can "rot" into a read-only state."

Source: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/solid-state-drive4.htm