FreeNAS Jail Issues continue....

NiftyMist
Go to solution Solved by Neil,

In order to be root in the shell, I just need to be loged on to the GUI as root correct?  Because when I run that command (or any sudo command which I have been told to do by people over at /r/freebsd) it returns this.

root@murmurjail:/ # sudo vi /etc/resolv.confsudo: Command not found
root@murmurjail:/ # iptables --listiptables: Command not found

nd not found. 

d not found. 

su root

My FreeNAS Jail issue continue.  LTT was the only community to help with my first problem, so maybe you guys can help me with this new issue!  I'm fairly confident that this is still a networking issue.  So I'm trying to install Murmur (Server side of Mummble) in a FreeBSD jail. The guide I'm following calls for: pkg install nano

It does not install and I try to update pkg again and this is what is outputted:

root@murmurjail:/ # pkg install nanoUpdating FreeBSD repository catalogue...pkg: Repository FreeBSD has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create databasepkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest/meta.txz: No address record pkg: repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settingspkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest/packagesite.txz: No address recordpkg: Unable to update repository FreeBSDAll repositories are up-to-date.pkg: Repository FreeBSD has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create databasepkg: Repository FreeBSD cannot be opened. 'pkg update' requiredpkg: No packages available to install matching 'nano' have been found in the rep ositoriesroot@murmurjail:/ # pkg updateUpdating FreeBSD repository catalogue...pkg: Repository FreeBSD has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create databasepkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest/meta.txz: No address record pkg: repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settingspkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:9:x86:64/latest/packagesite.txz: No address recordpkg: Unable to update repository FreeBSD

I'm totally lost on what to do here. I've tried several of the top hits on google and can't seem to get nano to work. Can someone help me out with this?

Please let me know if this would be better in the OS section of the forums.

It's a network issue. As root on the box, run: iptables --list

and show the output.

In order to be root in the shell, I just need to be loged on to the GUI as root correct?  Because when I run that command (or any sudo command which I have been told to do by people over at /r/freebsd) it returns this.

nd not found. 

d not found. 

curl: (6) Could not resolve host: pkg.FreeBSD.org 

Fix DNS connectivity first.

nd not found. 

d not found. 

su root

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer

able to get to root, as I have been all along but the same message is returned.  I tried just running 

vi /etc/resolv.conf

and its a read only file, there more I can not modify it.  If I change the DNS servernames via the FreeNAS web GUI would that solve the problem?  

issues are all resolved.  Thanks for responses LTT!

able to get to root, as I have been all along but the same message is returned. I tried just running

vi /etc/resolv.conf
and its a read only file, there more I can not modify it. If I change the DNS servernames via the FreeNAS web GUI would that solve the problem?

If you can't edit resolv.conf then you're not root.

Run A "whoami". That'll tell you.

--Neil Hanlon

Operations Engineer