Trade SLI 980's for Titan X?

shert73
Go to solution Solved by Lays,

Before resulting to that, try backing off your OC to stock & the GPU's too.

If that doesn't fix it, try re-installing windows before resulting to trading the cards.

I'm having multiple crashing issues with my current set-up (specs in sig). Games like GTA V, Pillars of eternity, Metro Last light redux. All have been crashing giving me a nvwgf2umx.dll error. I've had a buddy check everything out but came up empty handed, taken it to a few pc repair places but with the same outcome. I've totally cleaned drivers re installed. This is my first pc build and my first SLI setup.any ideas what could be the problem? I have a friend that's willing to trade his titan x fir my sli 980s. But I dont know what to do.

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

“Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.”

Albert Einstein 14 December 1930

well i mean idk why he would want to trade you his titan for your 2 980's that clearly have an issue lol

maybe just contact evga and see what theyll do?

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

If that doesn't fix it, try re-installing windows before resulting to trading the cards.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I'd trade SLI 980s for a Titan X, IMHO it's worth it.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

SLI 980 cards out perform the Titan X by a long shot. Go for it if you want. Depends on what monitor you use.

well i mean idk why he would want to trade you his titan for your 2 980's that clearly have an issue lol

maybe just contact evga and see what theyll do?

I've stressed tested both cards solo and together with ida64 for hours benched both solo and together with 3Dmark not a single issue. How would somthing be bad with the cards now but not than?

<p>CPU: Intel i7 4790k(4.9GHz), Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 (2 way SLI) PSU: EVGA 850w G2 Storage: Intel 730 Series 240GB 2.5" SSD, Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Designed by Razer, EK,Alphacool,Bitspower custom loop.

I'd trade SLI 980s for a Titan X, IMHO it's worth it.

Why? Just curious here. 980 SLI outperforms the Titan X. I have Titan X SLI.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

You really need to reinstall windows. If that isn't an option then chance trading your cards and having the same problem. You could also have a bad SLI bridge. Maybe one of your PCIE slots is going bad. Besides your dual 980s what other PCIE cards or lanes are in use? I'd unplug everything except the boot drive and GPUs and go from there. If you still have issues reinstall windows. If you still have issues I'd try your friends computer with both of your cards. If they work in his computer then you have an issue elsewhere.

You really need to reinstall windows. If that isn't an option then chance trading your cards and having the same problem. You could also have a bad SLI bridge. Maybe one of your PCIE slots is going bad. Besides your dual 980s what other PCIE cards or lanes are in use? I'd unplug everything except the boot drive and GPUs and go from there. If you still have issues reinstall windows. If you still have issues I'd try your friends computer with both of your cards. If they work in his computer then you have an issue elsewhere.

I can re install Windows no problem. Guess it could be the SLI bridge, im usingI'm using the EVGA pro bridge ill try the one that came with the mobo. Nothing else is in any of my PICe slots, just the 980's. I'll take them to his house let him use them for a few days.

After you reinstall windows let us know your result. Thanks man!

That nvwgf2umx.dll is a video driver problem. I doubt trading cards would fix anything.

After you reinstall windows let us know your result. Thanks man!

It was my cpu overclock :-) can't believe I forgot all about it lol. Thanks so much! I didn't want to lose my 980's.

thanks for reminding me about the cpu clock.