Fx-6100 vs i3-3220

jnvqc

The fx-6100 and the i3-3220 have almost the same price, but the fx has 6 cores 8mb of cache, the 3220 has 2 core 3mb of cache and both have the same clock speed (3.3ghz).

Which one you think is better?

I would personally go with the FX... Personally I dont hate em as much as everyone around seems to.... i3 is just a bad processor, its good for browsing and stuff but any more I would go with the i3... Not that the FX is a beast...

Depends on what you are gonna use the processors/pc for...

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

what are u doing with ur pc

amd fx 6300  @4.4ghz @1.4/ga-970a-ud3/HD78702gb /antec 620w psu

The thing i see with the i3 chips is that they really arent worth the money to put in desktops, they are great for laptops, but out of an FX and an i series at the lower end, definitely an FX, but i would definitely recommend the FX 6300 instead, it isn't that much more expensive put the speed is a big increase.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

I would get the fx but i would atleast try to get an 8150.

And for gaming will the 3220 be better than the 6100? Most games don't use more than 2 cores.

You'll probably end up with a cheaper and more feature rich platform if you go with he FX-6100.

Keep in mind the i3 3220 also have Hyperthreading, so it does have 4 thread and will do just as good.

Go with the cheapest CPU/Motherboard combo, you'll probably find the better deal with AMD.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/699?vs=677 (This is compared to the FX-6300, I couldn't find an in-depth comparison with the FX-6100.)

If possible, I'd recommend stretching for the FX6300 instead. Costs around $10-20 more depending on where you are, but performs a tad bit better than both, which would probably make it a better choice. It does depend on what you are using it for, however for both gaming and rendering I'd stick with the 6300.

As a i3-3220 owner i have to say that there is no better CPU for gaming at stock speeds at this price point. If you scroll down you will see a chart. There are 3 charts in total, one for the performance index of applications and games, one for games ONLY and one for Applications only. As you can see,m the i3 crushes every AMD in gaming. See this link: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/CPU-Ha...-Intel-675663/

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

The i3 isn't a bad choice for gaming considering the Pentium G530 and G860 can handle games quite well.

The i3 isn't a bad choice for gaming considering the Pentium G530 and G860 can handle games quite well.
I agree, it isn't. I would personally go with the i3.

Do you plan to overclock?

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

I am not planing to buy any new pc, i only create this post because of curiosity. However i have a friend that will build a pc soon and he maybe will choose one of this cpu's.

I would personally go with the FX... Personally I dont hate em as much as everyone around seems to.... i3 is just a bad processor, its good for browsing and stuff but any more I would go with the i3... Not that the FX is a beast...

Eh, the i3 is also a pretty good proccesor for budget gamers. Since its dual core, it may not be so good for multitasking but its really decent for gaming.

If it is mainly just for gaming, then i would definitely go with the i3. Its a awesome processors for budget gamers. Hook it up with a mid-class gpu and your friend is golden.

Eh' date=' the i3 is also a pretty good proccesor for budget gamers. Since its dual core, it may not be so good for multitasking but its really decent for gaming.[/quote']

Thats just my personal experience with i3s, srry ....

For the guy who started this topic, if power requerments is a thing for you, the intel chip will have a lower TDP...

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

should go with the Fx processor, one major advantage it has over the i3 it is able to be over clocked. which the performence per core would then be better than the i3 anyway, I'm reading other poeple comment's and they are forgeting this feature.