What to get for good WiFi next room?

luke100

My flatmates have the main, ISP-provided router in their room. Gets decent speed, doesn't do disconnects, seems okay enough.

When I go to my room, though (directly adjacent), the 2.4GHz network gets a bit messy, slow-ish, has weird lags. Usable, but not very pleasant. 5GHz unfortunately pretty much doesn't work at this point at all. 

My PC is thus connected with an Ethernet cable (I drilled a small hole through a wall for a single cable), as WiFi like this would drive me mad on a desktop. But I want better WiFi on my phone and laptop, too. What do I use? 

I was thinking of getting a router and hoping it has an "access point" mode, then connecting to it on PC through Ethernet. Any decent devices that would work for this purpose? Or maybe I shouldn't be looking for a router, but something else? 

WiFi range extenders don't seem to work all that well, though if anyone has any decent, not budget-breaking option, I'd happily try it. 

Few options. router in AP mode. Ap unit like unifi AP. Extender but this might be its own network

You will want to look for something with an in and out.