FX-4100 underclocking issues

Been struggling for a while with the cpu underclocking to 1.4ghz under load.

Initially had the problem with stock cooler, so my first thought was - ok, overheating, threw in a good cooler, changed thermopaste, but the problem persisted, so now im thinking - chipset? motherboard?

I have fucked around the bios, updated it, left most of the amd turbo crap off.

Power plan is set to high performance.

AMD overdrive shows Thermal margin -185C after the underclock and 38-40C on idle before the underclock.

After it underclocks, the thermal margin of -185C doesnt change even when keeping it idle for extended periods of time, even though the CPU should cool down, the reading says the temp is super high.

kek.png.2eb3101846d1da8fa32fe15b54839d09.png

The temperature reading on the CPU is unreal and simply impossible, the thing would be melting under that temp, but with amd temp readings being as inaccurate as they are - the further away from the optimal temp it is, cpu could be overheating, but looks more like a sensor error. As mentioned before with the thermal margin, the temperatures shown here do the exact same thing, once it reaches a certain threshold, the cpu temp shows 206-207C constantly, no matter how long the PC is left to idle.

On idle the cpu temp seems accurate - 32C-35C.

kek2.png.fa98b894ac0f1f23ec6d189fcf92619f.png

Everything dropping down to abysmal speeds just kills the performance, a restart fixes the issue for a while, until i do something cpu intensive, which means this happens when the cpu/system reaches a certain temperature.

Cleaning out the case helps, so it could be the chipset overheating?

I have ghetto rigged the system fan2 to blow air on the motherboard itself, which helped quite alot, the underclock seemed to stop almost completely, it would kick in only in cpu intensive scenarios, csgo for example. But that doesnt seem to help either now, since i havent cleaned my case in a while, but having to clean the thing every 3 months just to not run into any problems is ridiculous.

Im not sure what to do here. Replacing the cpu/motherboard?

Sensor going retarded makes the most sense here.

I mean, i can see some people saying - Oh yeah, just throw the thing in the garbage can, ohh boy, i want to, but i cant spare the money for a decent intel/ryzen setup. This FX has driven me nuts.

Looking into the motherboard, it seems to be quite shit, it has 3+1 phases supporting a max of 95w and its not heatsinked.

There are so many things that could be failing here, im just not educated enough to see the real problem here. I mean, swapping out the cpu and seeing if the problem persists, and then the motherboard would be the ideal way, but i dont have spare fx processors lying around, same thing for the motherboard.

Edited by Darky1029
Added more

Go to windows power plan and enable "high performance" in order to run the processor at its maximum clock speeds. If the power plan "balanced" is enabled then the dropping of clock speeds whilst under idle load is normal behavior for all modern processors. I would also try running hwinfo64 and see what readings it tells you for temps. Your computer would have likely shut itself off in order to protect itself from damage if it were really running that hot, so I doubt the readings of hwmonitor in this instance. Iirc the fx line did have iffy temperature readings all around though. 

Main PC :

CPU = R9 3900X / Motherboard = Asus Crosshair 8 Hero / GPU = EVGA SC Ultra RTX 2060 / RAM = G.Skill 3600 16-19-19-39 ( 32GB / 4x8 ) / Cooling = Dark Rock Pro 4 / Storage = Western Digital Caviar Blue ( X4 ) Crucial 500GB NVME, 500GB 970 EVO/ PSU = Seasonic X-850 Modular / Case = Corsair Carbide 200R

Wireless = Asus PCE-AC56 / Keyboard & Mouse = Corsair K70 MX Blue, Logitech G203 / Headphones = Hyperx Cloud Alpha /

4 minutes ago, Coachdude said:

Go to windows power plan and enable "high performance" in order to run the processor at its maximum clock speeds. If the power plan "balanced" is enabled then the dropping of clock speeds whilst under idle load is normal behavior for all modern processors. I would also try running hwinfo64 and see what readings it tells you for temps. Your computer would have likely shut itself off in order to protect itself from damage if it were really running that hot, so I doubt the readings of hwmonitor in this instance. Iirc the fx line did have iffy temperature readings all around though. 

Done that too, i tried every software related thing i could think of, that leaves me with hardware.

Oh wow it's showing some creepy stuff right there. As for fuc... messing around with BIOS, did you perform a hard reset on it? If not, tt's possible that the CMOS settings have somehow become corrupted - unplug the computer from power completely and remove the CMOS battery for like 5 minutes for good measure (really just a few seconds would normally be okay but it won't hurt to keep it out longer)

As for power, well it's just a dual-module CPU, and the slowest one. I think AMD was a bit generous with the TDP rating considering they gave the same rating to FX 81xx CPUs with twice the modules and just a little lower frequency

4 hours ago, ProximaOfZeal said:

Oh wow it's showing some creepy stuff right there. As for fuc... messing around with BIOS, did you perform a hard reset on it? If not, tt's possible that the CMOS settings have somehow become corrupted - unplug the computer from power completely and remove the CMOS battery for like 5 minutes for good measure (really just a few seconds would normally be okay but it won't hurt to keep it out longer)

As for power, well it's just a dual-module CPU, and the slowest one. I think AMD was a bit generous with the TDP rating considering they gave the same rating to FX 81xx CPUs with twice the modules and just a little lower frequency

Could that really be messing with the temperature readings and causing this whole ordeal? Gonna try it later, might aswell clean out the case while im at it.

11 hours ago, campy said:

the fx 4100 isnt the worst

Technically speaking it IS literally THE worst FX processor though ?

@campy Thank you for your response. I was thinking of either swaping the motherboard to GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 which is about 50 eur, which is not that bad, since i could fix this junk up, throw it next to the TV as a better xbox when i finally decide to upgrade. Could even throw an extra 40-50 eur to swap it to fx8xxx series

Or i could just built a new system. I was looking at sky lake i5, had found a decent mobo+cpu+ram combo using one of the better i5 models.

Could source a used 1060, throw in a case and a decent psu, i was looking at 610 EUR, but that was using second hand cpu,mobo,ram and gpu. 415 eur being spent in the used parts.

Somehow been putting off all the PC related stuff, since after all the gaming i did in the youth, nowadays i only play games when im on a vacation, but i still need a rig to render things from time to time.

Cleaned out the case, CPU runs 53C under 100% load, which doesnt reach the threshold of the weird temperature error, so running fine now. For the moment.