So after a month of waiting I finally got my Fibre connected in my new home!
I've moved out of my flat where the wi-fi and connection was perfect (with an outage now and again). The wi-fi router provided by virgin media worked really well and would easily achieve the 200mbps advertised and I actually received 220mbps over the wi-fi connection. This coverage was enjoyed throughout the entire flat.
Moving forward into my new home where the fibre point is in the living room, when testing the speeds, again I get the 220mbps download speed. I can also get the speed to be at least 150mbps+ downstairs over wi-fi. Now upstairs my devices and peripherals connect fine (not the greatest signal strength) and actually don't have access to the internet for some reason which I find odd.
So in the mean time I've purchased some power line adapters and plugged it directly into the wall sockets at both ends, and my office being the other end I'm getting about 40mbps download speed, which is okay however I'm obviously not getting what I spend on the 200mbps where I needed it most.
I have a theory why this might be the case, we installed wood flooring into our upstairs floors and as part of this we got some very good insulation where the surface layer is like a very thin foil material. I have a feeling that either the flooring is too thick, or that insulating underlay is interfering with the signal.
I'm just wondering if you guys have any possible ideas around this problem or how I can easily get the wi-fi signal upstairs. I have a dual band router (TP-link AC1200 Dual Band N-Router) however I can't for the life of me seem to be able to set it up as a repeater, I've looked for instructions however the interface seems older than the information I've researched and the options just simply don't exist.