I need help figuring this out.

Xtreme Gamer

I am stuck on this problem. I currently have a gigabyte gtx 660 running at stock. And I use all adobe products meant for video/audio/photo editing. And the games I play are WoW, Hearthstone, Heroes of them Storm, Overwatch (as soon as it's released), Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Team Fortress 2, JC2 and JC2 Multiplayer mod. My question is that since my 660 is using a 192-bit interface and 2GB. But the 960 is a 128-bit interface with 2 GB or even a 4GB. A: will my editing and rendering suffer or benefit from a 660 going to a 960? And B: From the games I listed that I play. Will I see my games suffer or benefit from the switch. And If I play all the games at 4K DSR on a 1080p monitor with maxed out setting on textures, Anti Aliasing, shadows, etc.; will I get good frame rate? Thanks for the help!!!!

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

I wouldn't even get the 960. For what you get it's not a good value. You'd see an increase in performance. But for that price you could get a better card like a 280x.

I wouldn't even get the 960. For what you get it's not a good value. You'd see an increase in performance. But for that price you could get a better card like a 280x.

I actually know nothing of amd cards and have no experience with them. I prefer to always go Nvidia because I know them and have experience with them.

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

I actually know nothing of amd cards and have no experience with them. I prefer to always go Nvidia because I know them and have experience with them.

I recommend you save a little bit longer and get a 970 then. 

I am stuck on this problem. I currently have a gigabyte gtx 660 running at stock. And I use all adobe products meant for video/audio/photo editing. And the games I play are WoW, Hearthstone, Heroes of them Storm, Overwatch (as soon as it's released), Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Team Fortress 2, JC2 and JC2 Multiplayer mod. My question is that since my 660 is using a 192-bit interface and 2GB. But the 960 is a 128-bit interface with 2 GB or even a 4GB. A: will my editing and rendering suffer or benefit from a 660 going to a 960? And B: From the games I listed that I play. Will I see my games suffer or benefit from the switch. And If I play all the games at 4K DSR on a 1080p monitor with maxed out setting on textures, Anti Aliasing, shadows, etc.; will I get good frame rate? Thanks for the help!!!!

You'd definitely see an increase in performance, I have a 960 in my rig and it does exceptionally well, though I have not test DSR with it. As for the 128-bit bus, I don't think it will matter as much, The 960 has more CUDA cores then the 660, easily making the smaller bus irrelevant.

I recommend you save a little bit longer and get a 970 then. 

But from all that I heard and read about the 970. The performance will greatly suffer because of its vram configuration by nvidia. How is a 970 better knowing that?

You'd definitely see an increase in performance, I have a 960 in my rig and it does exceptionally well, though I have not test DSR with it. As for the 128-bit bus, I don't think it will matter as much, The 960 has more CUDA cores then the 660, easily making the smaller bus irrelevant.

Based on the info provided, How much performance do you think I would get from a 960 on those editing programs. And how good a frame rate do You I would get on those games with the settings?

Based on the info provided, How much performance do you think I would get from a 960 on those editing programs. And how good a frame rate do You I would get on those games with the settings?

I can't give you exact numbers on editing programs, I don't use them much. My CUDA's are mostly used for FAH. Without DSR turned on, I can get 80 - 100 FPS at max settings on most of my games, Cities: Skylines, Borderlands 2 are a couple, I don't play many of the traditional benchmarking games.

I can't give you exact numbers on editing programs, I don't use them much. My CUDA's are mostly used for FAH. Without DSR turned on, I can get 80 - 100 FPS at max settings on most of my games, Cities: Skylines, Borderlands 2 are a couple, I don't play many of the traditional benchmarking games.

Do you use any aa or resolution modes at all, maybe even maxed or something?

Do you use any aa or resolution modes at all, maybe even maxed or something?

I had AA set to x4 on Borderlands, I'm not sure on Cities: Skylines. I can get a screen shot once my games reinstall on my rig, unfortunately I just finished upgrading so nothing is set up yet.

I had AA set to x4 on Borderlands, I'm not sure on Cities: Skylines. I can get a screen shot once my games reinstall on my rig, unfortunately I just finished upgrading so nothing is set up yet.

Was it msaa, mfaa, cmaa or fxaa that was set to x4?

Was is msaa, mfaa, cmaa or fxaa that was set to x4?

Honestly I couldn't tell you of the top of my head and since its not installed on my rig yet, I can't load it to check either. Still got 30 minutes of download time remaining.

Honestly I couldn't tell you of the top of my head and since its not installed on my rig yet, I can't load it to check either. Still got 30 minutes of download time remaining.

ah, bet you wish ya had google fiber eh? 

ah, bet you wish ya had google fiber eh? 

Yes, but 30 MBit down works well enough for me at the moment, at least I'm not stuck with DSL.

Yes, but 30 MBit down works well enough for me at the moment, at least I'm not stuck with DSL.

Funny thing with my internet plan is that its advertised at 75Mb, but with gigabit ethernet I cap at 90MB.