Storage Suggestions

Soulstrife

Hey all!  I need some help.  I am currently running a 3tb and 4tb external HDD through my Asus RT-N66U and am running out of space fast.  I would like to either buy a pre-made NAS or build one, but not sure which path to take. 

I am looking to run 4x4tb in Raid 5 for 12tb storage and 4tb redundancy. Or I'll take any other suggestions to increase my current use of the RT-N66U to save money now.

I have about 1200 to use, so thinking either a QNap, Synology or WD Nas system.

Thanks!

4x4 has always been a good choice. Are you running standard Reds or Red Pros?

I don't have anything yet.  I was thinking towards standard Reds.

~snip~

Hey Soulstrife,

Each option (pre-built or self-built NAS) has its own pros and cons. 
Self-built NAS devices are fun to make, you may get longer warranty on some of the parts, easier to upgrade in the future and you are free to choose the parts and the OS. The down side of this option is that you don't get any support on this and is much harder to set up software-wise as well as hardware-wise. 

Pre-built NAS devices are very easy to set up and manage. They are basically plug-and-play devices, designed for easy storage access and management and are great for simple home usage. 

I would check out WD's NAS options and see which of them can meet your needs both hardware and feature-wise and in terms of price. WD My Cloud EX4 and WD My Cloud EX4100 are 4-bay NASs that you may find particularly interesting. Here are links with some info:

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Thanks for the reply Captain_WD!  My wife and I were looking at the Ex4100 last night and I think I might be purchasing that one in the near future. Thank you for the suggestions!

Ciao