Weirdest Windows 8.1 Issue I have ever encountered....wtf

itsmyjobtoknow
Go to solution Solved by itsmyjobtoknow,

Not sure what happened, but do the basic system integrity checks. 

Open a CMD window as an admin and type the following commands:

SFC /SCANNOW

SFC will run and check your Windows System Files for errors. If it finds any, hopefully it can replace them automagically.

Once that finishes, run:

DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH

This checks your component store and attempts to repair those as well.

That really sounds like malware.

Keep in mind malware can avoid detection from scanners. It does this be actually moving which file it is hiding in as the scan is happening. So if its in File B and Malwarebytes has finished scanning File A, then it moves itself into File A and Malwarebytes scans File B after the malware has already moved out of it. So Malwarebytes detects nothing even though it is there, just moving around from file to file.

Honestly I would try one of those scans that scans prior to Windows boot up, I believe Avast can do those. If that doesn't fix it try restoring to a restore point. If you can't do that then maybe just format and install Windows again.

So I booted up my machine and loaded into Windows 8.1 and everything seems to be loading up fine and then when I use chrome, chrome itself stops responding and then when I tried to log out and sign back in...it freezes during logging out. 

So I rebooted the machine and this time when I get into the OS...Outlook doesn't startup and gave me this message saying somewhere along the time of "I can't access this folder" and a similar message popped up for Dropbox saying it doesn't have permission to a folder and I couldn't open most of my programs like Chrome, Firefox..etc. I nearly freaked out thinking I got one of those ransom malware virus thing....but there isn't any random text file anywhere to be found.

I decided to have MalwareByte do a scan while doing Windows Update and checking to all my files.

While checking each image file I tried opening said it was either too large, or corrupted...so wtf

Eventually after the scan was over and "no threats detected" almost everything started working again...

When I went to open Outlook manually, it opens...Dropbox works...my images now shows up...every program I have just test works...so I am so very confused on what exactly happened...

Any of you have an Idea of what happened?

GPU? Sounds like a nVidia driver problem

Tell me your GPU and Driver please

only read half of it xD

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

GPU? Sounds like a nVidia driver problem

Tell me your GPU and Driver please

only read half of it xD

GTX 980 Reference from Gigabyte

and Verison 352.30 

But can a Graphics Driver really cause an issue where none of my application loads due to "lack of permission" or essentially causing every folder to be a read-only folder?

Edit: You editted your message when I was writing this...dammit

SFC /SCANNOW

SFC will run and check your Windows System Files for errors. If it finds any, hopefully it can replace them automagically.

Once that finishes, run:

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

SFC /SCANNOW

Once that finishes, run:

Doing it right now..Thanks for the tip

SFC /SCANNOW

Once that finishes, run:

"Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

"Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation"

SFC will give that sometimes. We can try a few things to work around it, but first try the DISM one. Does that also have an error?

CompTIA A+ Certified

"We are all cups, quietly and constantly being filled. The trick is knowing how to tip yourself and let the good things pour out." - Ray Bradbury

Keep in mind malware can avoid detection from scanners. It does this be actually moving which file it is hiding in as the scan is happening. So if its in File B and Malwarebytes has finished scanning File A, then it moves itself into File A and Malwarebytes scans File B after the malware has already moved out of it. So Malwarebytes detects nothing even though it is there, just moving around from file to file.

Honestly I would try one of those scans that scans prior to Windows boot up, I believe Avast can do those. If that doesn't fix it try restoring to a restore point. If you can't do that then maybe just format and install Windows again.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Boot disk full? I think it could cause those kind of problems

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Tried using Avast to do a bootup scan...no threats were detected but there were some corrupted files...

Error: 1392

Okay, so if both SFC and DISM are unable to repair, then you may have bad sectors on your harddrive. This can be fixed by using CHKDSK in a CMD window. 

BUT! Before you do that, I recommend running HDD Diagnostics. Two good programs for this are Seagate Seatools or WD Data Lifeguard. If the scans say the drives are good then we'll go over the CHKDSK options. But if the diagnostics say the drive is bad, then CHKDSK could cause data loss. 

So try Seagate Seatools or WD Data Lifeguard and report back with the results.

CompTIA A+ Certified

Okay, so if both SFC and DISM are unable to repair, then you may have bad sectors on your harddrive. This can be fixed by using CHKDSK in a CMD window. 

BUT! Before you do that, I recommend running HDD Diagnostics. Two good programs for this are Seagate Seatools or WD Data Lifeguard. If the scans say the drives are good then we'll go over the CHKDSK options. But if the diagnostics say the drive is bad, then CHKDSK could cause data loss. 

So try Seagate Seatools or WD Data Lifeguard and report back with the results.

I actually have an SSD....and after taking a suggestion from @RH00D post about using Avast and do a boot-up scan...it found no threat but some corrupted files and after that...and fixed it somehow..at least temporarily.

But I just did the sfc /scannow and it found corrupted files and "was unable to fix some of them"

And then did the dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Which "restored operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was repaired." 

So Thank You for your Help...I appreciate it more than you know. 

SFC /SCANNOW

Once that finishes, run:

I actually have an SSD....and after taking a suggestion from @RH00D post about using Avast and do a boot-up scan...it found no threat but some corrupted files and after that...and fixed it somehow..at least temporarily.

But I just did the sfc /scannow and it found corrupted files and "was unable to fix some of them"

And then did the dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Which "restored operation completed successfully. The component store corruption was repaired." 

So Thank You for your Help...I appreciate it more than you know. 

Awesome. I'm glad everything worked out!

CompTIA A+ Certified