Vortex Backlit PBT double shot keycaps review, Black

silentanarchy

Vortex PBT Keycaps

Review

The Prereview

I bought the ducky Legend about 6 weeks ago and Have loved it, and about 1 week after I ordered it I bought the vortex PBT Keycaps on massdrop, so I have been waiting awhile for these to come (5 Weeks).

So read to find out If I wasted 5 weeks and my money or if these were worth the time and cost.

The Unboxing

Well it was more of an unwraping, These came in a small brown box labeled MASSDROP, and in the box all you get are the keycaps. They are sadly on in a thick plastic bag. I was sad because I saw some reviews on youtube, and the keycaps came in a nice cylindrical box, but I suppose that these won't be damaged. It may be due to the fact that I ordered from MassDrop. I just like to collect nice boxes.

UhmJ3VA.jpg

The Feel & Installation

They feel like 800 or 1000 grit sandpaper, if you know what that feels like. I was honestly expecting them to feel more rough, but they are actually quite smooth, not as smooth as the keycaps included with my Ducky Legend, which are standard ABS Keycaps. Even though they are not what I expected The feel is still super nice, they are able to keep my fingers from slipping off of the keys.

r8xabQl.jpg

Installation Is what You should expect, Take the old caps off, and put the new ones on. But if you are replacing your keycaps on an old keyboard, then you may want to take advantage of it being bare, and clean and lube the switches. my keyboard is new so no cleaning was needed.

ZvIKOKp.jpg

The Build

Well, their just keycaps right, well yes but very nice ones. These are made of PBT Plastic, which is a more rigid plastic compared to ABS. Which means it should never get that shiny spot that abs tends to get after prolonged use. It has a melting point of 433 F, where as ABS has no melting point because it's Amorphous, but It sort of melts at 221 F, While these numbers don't really matter to most people some may find them interesting. What may matter to some though is PBT is sensitive to hot water >140 F. So if you planned on getting the white ones and dying them with RIT dye I would not do that. The other part of the name of these keycaps is Double shot injection molded. This refers to the method used in making the legends on the keycaps. In short this means the legend and the cap are made of completely seprate pieces of plastic, so the legends will never get rubbed off and you won't be able to feel the legends.

YG5OUpk.jpg

kXCSGRU.jpg

The Look

The main reason you are probaly getting new keycaps if for aesthetics, so to me these look nice. They are not as black as the old keycaps but they have a nice font. However they look sorta dusty, because of the texture. I don't mind this because it matches the look of the metal housing of the keyboard. If you were curious as to how the strong the backlight is shining through this different material, you should be happy to know it is as bright as the original keycaps, however some of the keys like control loose some brightness at the ends of the word.  But these pictures should help you make up your own mind.

qSFBQok.jpg

S1Rfed6.jpg

gd755r2.jpg

The Sound

This section will be short. You might not have known that the keycap will change the sound of your typing. There are two sound when typing the click, which is what happens when you activate the switch. This is only on Blue, and Green switches. The other sound is the Clack. This is the sound your keyboard has that is unique to it. it happens when the keycap hits the plate under it. So these keycaps change the clack, the sound from these keycaps is more quick, and full. It has a slightly deeper sound. which I find sounds more high quality.

Conclusion

Well I think I covered everything. Overall are these worth the price I paid. The first day I had them I was disappointed and thought I wasted my money. However It's been about 2 weeks and I am every happy with them, I now love the subtle texture difference and the sound they make, I am sad That the color wasn't the same as my original keycaps, Because I wanted to use my old space bar, but I can look past this. In the end It's up to you if you think these are worth the price, just remember these will last forever so you can put them on any future cherry mx compatible keyboard you get.

Thanks for reading my review If there is anything I left out or anything else You want to know just comment and I will respond. also If you have any problems or think the review could be better tell me in the comments. If you liked this review  my others are linked below.

Moto G (2013) Review

AKG K550 Review

Ducky Legend Review

Good impression/review, I'm thinking of getting these key caps to replace those on my DS3's, not sure if these are suitable for my DS4 69 Fire Ed though. I'd called the guys I buy my keyboards from, they have stock of it.....only problem is, I'm too damn lazy to actually make my way there to get 'em. Too busy with work, and when I ain't busy, trying out my cans with the new cables, as well as new cans.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Good impression/review, I'm thinking of getting these key caps to replace those on my DS3's, not sure if these are suitable for my DS4 69 Fire Ed though. I'd called the guys I buy my keyboards from, they have stock of it.....only problem is, I'm too damn lazy to actually make my way there to get 'em. Too busy with work, and when I ain't busy, trying out my cans with the new cables, as well as new cans.

Thanks,  I'm not 100% sure what you mean by suitable for the DS4 Fire, if you mean compatibility then yes these should be compatible because the DS4 Fire is all cherry MX. I've been curious do they cable actually change the sound, and if so what do they change, clarity, color, soundstage.

Thanks,  I'm not 100% sure what you mean by suitable for the DS4 Fire, if you mean compatibility then yes these should be compatible because the DS4 Fire is all cherry MX. I've been curious do they cable actually change the sound, and if so what do they change, clarity, color, soundstage.

It has to do with placement of the LED, if on top like most DS2, DS3 and DS4, it isn't an issue. Only when the LED are placed elsewhere would it present a lighting issue.....I think my DS4 69 Fire Ed has two LEDs, much like the YoTH. Not using my YoTH and 69 Fire Ed, will have to take them from my storage area and pull out a couple of key caps to see what it's like.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2