Installing Windows from a USB?

smcspectre
Go to solution Solved by thekeemo,

yup

Hi,

I have bought an 850 Evo SSD to use as my new boot drive and a WD Black 1TB for storing everything else.

These new drives will be replacing my old HDD.

I plan to do a fresh install of Windows on my SSD and just want to confirm I have the steps right before doing so;

1. Remove old HDD and replace with the SSD
  2. Insert USB containing Windows Installer and start up the PC
  3. Load the BIOs
  4. Set the USB as the first boot device
  5. Restart the PC and go through the Windows set up wizard
  6. Happy sailing with a fresh install of Windows?
  7. Power down the PC and install the new HDD

I believe, if carried out in those steps everything should be fine?

Any comments are appreciated.

*I chose the first reply as the best answer just to show this has been "solved", thanks for all the replies though, very helpful.

Tillie - The Little Engine That Could

Gigabyte H97-Gaming 3 || Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit || i5 4690 || MSI GTX960 2GB || Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB || Samsung 850EVO 120GB

WD Black 1TB HDD || Cooler Master VSM 650 || Razer Black Widow Ultimate || Razer Deathadder || Razer Kraken Pro || NZXT Source 340/ White & X61

-SNIP-

Yep that sounds good but I would disconnect your secondary storage drive to make it windows doesn't install the boot sequence into the secondary HDD, had that happen once and had to reinstall windows since it couldn't repair the boot sequence on the SSD.

You don't need to remove the HDD. I didn't have issues with that. I believe (don't quote me) that it was only necessary in the XP days. Also, you don't need to set the USB device as first in boot priority. You can manually boot into it from the BIOS, or even access your boot menu. If you want to though, there would be no issues. 

You might need to initialize the disk. Apologies if these are bad instructions.. all from memory and just woke up.

Once booted, shut down the computer, install the new HDD, then boot again. Mouse in bottom right corner>Search>"Computer Maintenance">Disk Management>Right click on the unfortmatted drive, initialize it. 

from what I know, that's all that's required, but you may need to give it a drive letter.

Right cluck (still in Disk Management) the now black "Unallocated" space > new Simple volume > follow the wizard.

Awesome, thanks for the replies.

You might need to initialize the disk. Apologies if these are bad instructions.. all from memory and just woke up.

Once booted, shut down the computer, install the new HDD, then boot again. Mouse in bottom right corner>Search>"Computer Maintenance">Disk Management>Right click on the unfortmatted drive, initialize it. 

from what I know, that's all that's required, but you may need to give it a drive letter.

Right cluck (still in Disk Management) the now black "Unallocated" space > new Simple volume > follow the wizard.

Yeah I seen a video from Linus regarding this. As long as I can get Windows installed without doing this the SSD, and I manage to get up and running, I plan to refer back to the Linus video and this post to make sure I get that storage drive running correctly.

Thanks.

Tillie - The Little Engine That Could

Gigabyte H97-Gaming 3 || Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit || i5 4690 || MSI GTX960 2GB || Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB || Samsung 850EVO 120GB

WD Black 1TB HDD || Cooler Master VSM 650 || Razer Black Widow Ultimate || Razer Deathadder || Razer Kraken Pro || NZXT Source 340/ White & X61