How to install driver in freenas 9.1?

Uwillparish

Did you try putting it in your system and booting it up? That card is supported by some older versions of BSD, so I imagine it might work by default.

If not, or the driver is not in FreeNAS, you will have to add the BSD driver for it. Do you have that version?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Did you try putting it in your system and booting it up? That card is supported by some older versions of BSD, so I imagine it might work by default.

If not, or the driver is not in FreeNAS, you will have to add the BSD driver for it. Do you have that version?

its in my system now, when i plug my network cable to it, it cant connect

I have rtl_bsd_drv_v180.tgz from the driver disk and it has if_re.c in it, which i think is the driver

I haven't done this personally, but this post seems to have a good walkthrough to try as a start. It's entirely possible you'll have to do some funny things to have the driver work properly, if it isn't loaded as a default in BSD. That's just kind of what you get when it comes to cheap ethernet cards.  :unsure:

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

I haven't done this personally, but this post seems to have a good walkthrough to try as a start. It's entirely possible you'll have to do some funny things to have the driver work properly, if it isn't loaded as a default in BSD. That's just kind of what you get when it comes to cheap ethernet cards.  :unsure:

when i try and load it it gives me exec format error, probably because the file is if_re.c

A .c file is C code. You need to compile it first, which, most of the time, requires the kernel source to compile it against. Each time the kernel updates, you need to recompile it again.

However, I am surprised that this is not already included. Are you sure there is no interface called re0 (or re1... etc, if there are other network cards using the re driver)?

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.6GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux

A .c file is C code. You need to compile it first, which, most of the time, requires the kernel source to compile it against. Each time the kernel updates, you need to recompile it again.

However, I am surprised that this is not already included. Are you sure there is no interface called re0 (or re1... etc, if there are other network cards using the re driver)?

theres a onboard ethernet port, which is what it uses, and when i go into network interfaces, it only shows the onboard, not the expansion card

OK. After some testing with FreeNAS v9.1, it seems that you need to manually add the network interfaces in order for it to show up in the list. (Click on the "Add Interface" button).

I doubt you needed a driver at all, since, as wpirobotbuilder pointed out, older versions of BSD already supported it. However, if you want to be absolutely certain FreeNAS has successfully identified your network card, run the following two commands (I have included the sample output) in either the console shell or the web-interface shell:

# ifconfigre0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500	options=8209b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,WOL_MAGIC,LINKSTATE>	ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx	inet6 fe80::xxxx:xxff:fexx:xxxx%re0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1	inet 192.168.1.4 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255	nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>	media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)	status: active# dmesg |grep -E re[0-9]+re0: <RealTek 8168/8111 B/C/CP/D/DP/E/F PCIe Gigabit Ethernet> port 0xee00-0xeeff mem 0xfdaff000-0xfdafffff irq 19 at device 0.0 on pci2re0: Using 1 MSI messagere0: Chip rev. 0x38000000re0: MAC rev. 0x00000000miibus0: <MII bus> on re0re0: Ethernet address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xxre0: link state changed to DOWNre0: link state changed to UP

Look for the re# interface that matches the MAC address of your network card (usually a sticker on it, or on the outside of the retail box).

CPU Intel i7-7700 | Cooling Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 | Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z270F Gaming | RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 3.6GHz 32GB | GPU EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 FTW3 Ultra Gaming |

Case Fractal Design Define R5 | Storage Samsung 980 PRO 500GB, Samsung 970 EVO+ "v2" 2TB | PSU Corsair RM850x 2021 | Display ASUS VP247QG + Samsung SyncMaster T220 | OS Garuda Linux