EU-Parliament approves: micro-USB to all phones.

JantsoP

The draft directive lays down harmonised rules for placing radio equipment, including cellular telephones, car-door openers and modems, on the market. The rules aim to keep pace with the growing number and variety of radio equipment devices and ensure that they do not interfere with each other while respecting essential health and safety requirements.

The draft law was approved by 550 votes to 12, with 8 abstentions. It will still have to be formally approved by the Council. Member states will have two years to transpose the rules into their national laws and manufacturers will have an additional year to comply.

But what will happen to Apple's Lightning charger? Is apple gonna do diffrent phone model just for EU clients due that directive? Well no if Apple does not want to. But they must include Micro-USB to Lightning adapter on the new phones. What you guys think about this? Discuss

Source: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/news-room/content/20140307IPR38122/html/MEPs-push-for-common-charger-for-all-mobile-phones

Another quote from Patently Apple

If was just yesterday that we posted a report titled "Apple Invents new Dock with a Flexible Lightning Connector" wherein we concluded our summary by stating: "Here's to hoping that Apple will be able to not only design this new dock but also get it out to market soon. Then again, perhaps Apple is still waiting to see how the European consumer protection committee will rule before committing to this product." Well talk of the Devil. The European Parliament just handed down their ruling on this issue and they say that manufacturers including Apple will have to use a standard charger by 2017.

Source: http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2014/03/european-parliament-rules-apple-must-use-the-micro-usb-standard-port-for-european-idevices-by-2017.html

post-45633-13948819099844_thumb.jpg

So all it does is swing back and forth? Or am I missing something?

Anyway I don't care how it effects apple or Samsung or whoever because they could easily develop the docks for micro USB as well. I agree to the decision made because it can happen to anybody that their phone dies. With the given solution I can simply charge my phone with a non-apple charger from my colleague using samsung.

I don't see any downside to this :)

I7-4770k - ASUS Maximus VI Formula - 16GB ADATA 2133MHz - EVGA 780 SC - 512GB Intel SSD - 2TB WD Black - Thermaltake DPS 750W

I don't see any downside to this :)

Well, other than the fact that a lot of people don't like Micro USB for good reasons (though I don't have data to know whether those reasons are actually TRUE), some devices won't work well with Micro USB for various reasons such as it not charging fast enough. I don't know the exact phrasing of the law, but if it includes tablets then it might also include Windows 8 tablets that are full laptop-grade computers which couldn't possibly charge in a reasonable time over USB. If it includes some other devices like Smart Watches then Pebble will need to spend a bunch of time and energy updating their design and figuring out how to waterproof the Micro USB connector rather than just using their very nice magnetic connector.

Personally, I say if you want to charge your phone over USB then buy a phone that charges over USB; if enough people care that much, then non-USB phones will die out, or simply be forced to make really good justification in order to overcome that desire. Besides that I don't think it's reasonable for companies to be responsible for their customers forgetting some part of the product necessary for its operation. If you really don't want to find yourself without a charger then bring a charger; even with this law there's no guarantee that there will be a Micro USB charger available to you.

Anyways, I don't know the specifics of the law, but if it only applies to phones then this is basically just attacking Apple's Lightning connector. I have mixed feelings about Lightning; it's proprietary and expensive, but it doesn't have a little plastic prong on the phone-side that can break (so there isn't much of a chance that the phone will become impossible to charge and thus completely useless) and the reversibility is a nice touch.