Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CPU & GPU for my new build

Flt/Lt_Josh

So I am planning to build a new PC soon and I'm not sure about a few things, but first I have some rules with my new PC, 1. Strictly no going over 3,000 AUD unless its like 10 dollars and its worth it however, I do want it abit cheaper if it can be helped 2. I want this computer to be able to run VR specifically flight sims like X plane 11 which I plan to play on it well because that is the whole reason I'm building this PC (of course i will be playing other games on it like War Thunder and R6 which are my main games right now and I might even play some War Thunder VR). 3. It must be at least decent enough to run stuff like Illustrator and Fusion 360 because I will be doing that as well. Ok so my trouble is I was planning on building a Ryzen system, then my computer nerd friend was like "No only Intel" and started to convince me to go Intel, I personally have nothing against Intel besides the fact that they are expensive, and that is what I liked about Ryzen its cheaper and yeah can get the "same stuff", now I am aware that Intel has better single core performance just so you know. Now the second problem was if I go Intel the 2 CPU's i was choosing from where the 8600K and the 8700K, and if I went with the 8700K then I could only afford a 1070ti and I was afraid that I wouldn't get enough performance and watching Linus' new video I feel a little better and I now have my eyes set on Oculus, however, if I went with the 8600k and a 1080 then my CPU would be lacking instead. So I am not sure what I want to do so can anyone give suggestion on a CPU and GPU and what I should get. Also I want to make a informed decision, and I already have set my mind on the other parts (obviously mobo depends on the CPU but it would be a Z370 or X370 respectively oh and it'll be a ROG Strix board as well) so I'm just a little stuck on the CPU and GPU combo (however, I will be going with ASUS most likely for the GPU either way).

Thanks 

Josh

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor  ($465.00 @ Storm Computers) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($218.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($225.00 @ Shopping Express) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card  ($1299.00 @ Umart) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R (Black w/Tempered Glass) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($105.00 @ Umart) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.00 @ Mwave Australia) 
Total: $2590.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-10-25 08:11 AEDT+1100

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I wouldn't go for the 8600k in any capacity currently since the R5 2600 ruins any value that chip has. Your choice of Intel vs AMD will ultimately come down to whether or not you want the highest fps possible(8700k) or you're ok with a little less fps but good value for money(2700x), not to mention higher resolutions above 1080p close the gap significantly. Both are great cpu's, just figure out which one you want to prioritize and it makes the decision a little easier. As for the gpu, if you have to step down one tier to get the intel part, then I still wouldn't cross it off the list since you can always upgrade later.  

Hey brob thanks for the suggestive parts list but I have already have the rest of my parts made up and also I need a monitor and keyboard but thank you anyway.

7 hours ago, Kritic said:

I wouldn't go for the 8600k in any capacity currently since the R5 2600 ruins any value that chip has. Your choice of Intel vs AMD will ultimately come down to whether or not you want the highest fps possible(8700k) or you're ok with a little less fps but good value for money(2700x), not to mention higher resolutions above 1080p close the gap significantly. Both are great cpu's, just figure out which one you want to prioritize and it makes the decision a little easier. As for the gpu, if you have to step down one tier to get the intel part, then I still wouldn't cross it off the list since you can always upgrade later.  

Kritic the thing with dropping to a 1070ti is I feel like I won't get the performance I want in x plane 11 VR however people say it should be fine but a 1080 would be better (obviously). On the upgrading point I want my PC to be able to last awhile so that's why I'm going high end.