Fps cap in games

FrozenKittyGamer

When I open up a game it seems to limit the fps to something random. Fallout 4 is 82, paladins is 175 and 7 days to die is 22 and sometimes not limited at all. So I open task manager and the CPU RAM and GPU usage are very low. I know its not a power plan because I'm not on a laptop and I know its not v sync or some in-game fps limiter. My best guess is that is some sort of app on my PC, However, I have 159 apps and have no clue which one could be causing it if any. The strangest thing is that when I minimize my game the GPU usage goes up to almost 100%. Does anyone know what is causing this?

My specs are:

Graphics card: 1080ti

CPU: Ryzen 2700x

RAM: 32GB ddr4 3000MHz

SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB

Maybe it's because of a in-game setting. Also make sure that your laptop's power plan is set to high performance for the best gaming experience!

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

r2724r16, I did say that I was not on a laptop and it was not an in-game setting and I am 100% sure of that. Do you have any other ideas on what could be causing this?

6 hours ago, FrozenKittyGamer said:

r2724r16, I did say that I was not on a laptop and it was not an in-game setting and I am 100% sure of that. Do you have any other ideas on what could be causing this?

windows always got a power plan

even if it is a desktop ... but that is not the problem ( in my case it was ... as the cpu throttle went down to 0.8ghz  in game instead 3.9ghz ... intel  )

if you think it is a app

then check any app that can generate a overlay ( msi afterburner ... nvidea shadowplay .. nvidea settings ...) 

also any app that can record screen ( OB .. Fraps ... Discord ??.. )  .. as that is also called a overlay ^^

then for fallout and paladins , every game got his own frames

a lot of factors can deside what frames you get in game , but as long it is above your refresh rate it does not mather 

my best example was with Vampyr , it was stable at 45 frames , but somehow it dropped down to 15 frames .. disabled a few settings in the bios ( powersave functions ) and enabled high power mode and then it ran back at 45 frames 

so thats something else you could check

check your bios for powersave options ( S3 state ? S5 state ?  Turbo boost ? HyperTreading ? Auto Undervolting ? ... ) 

not sure if amd also got those settings , as my last amd was a phantom II black ( AM3 sock or so ) that i got from a friend xD

Greets From PowerChaos

If you see strange text like this

then you can be sure I use a mobile.

All info provided is to help you. I can not garantee That iT is 100% correct. Apply my solution at OWN risk. Just like overclocking has everything a risk

glad to help you

greets from PowerChaos

PowerChaos, thank you so much for your help I will check the bios and as for power settings I have already checked windows but I will see if Nvidia or my bios has one. 

Also I do  have MSI Afterburner, OBS, and Discord, LOL. I will uninstall those to see if it fixes it. 

I was able to get 7 days to die to work but it is limited at the same as fallout 4.