SSD an OS help

Mario Ezquerro
Go to solution Solved by seagate_surfer,
18 hours ago, Mario Ezquerro said:

Yeah that might be it but i have no idea what could have went wrong during the installation

Maybe not only during installation, moving the drive, unplugging/plugging it back, applications installed corrupting system files/boot files and let's not forget about damaged sectors. Everything counts but the thing is that the drive cannot boot, so try it on another computer or different slots/ports if you don't have access to a secondary machine, format your drive again, boot only with this drive connected, what you need is to isolate the problem of the drive and if problem persists I would recommend you to do RMA on that unit. 

Hello there im Mario

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Kingston A400 SSD in order to speed up my computer wich already had an HDD.

I installed the new SSD and the OS the problem comes when I start the pc, after the BIOS logo a second menu apears to select which volume of windows I want to use because I still have the OS on the HDD and I can't boot directly from the SSD (a message of no operating system found apears) and if I don know how to fix it

Any help will be fantastic!

9 minutes ago, Mario Ezquerro said:

Hello there im Mario

A couple of weeks ago I bought a Kingston A400 SSD in order to speed up my computer wich already had an HDD.

I installed the new SSD and the OS the problem comes when I start the pc, after the BIOS logo a second menu apears to select which volume of windows I want to use because I still have the OS on the HDD and I can't boot directly from the SSD (a message of no operating system found apears) and if I don know how to fix it

Any help will be fantastic!

Since you have 2 windows installs (SSD and HDD), the computer asks which you want to boot from.  I would get all the files off of your HDD, Format it, add it back as another empty drive and then you'll only have the one windows install to deal with.

If you go into your BIOS, you can also set the SSD as the first boot option, if you don't want to delete the install on the HDD.

Hello Mario Ezquerro,

I would definitely check the boot sequence order in BIOS, and if the SSD cannot boot there must be something that went wrong during installation...

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

2 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Hello Mario Ezquerro,

I would definitely check the boot sequence order in BIOS, and if the SSD cannot boot there must be something that went wrong during installation...

Yeah that might be it but i have no idea what could have went wrong during the installation

3 hours ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Since you have 2 windows installs (SSD and HDD), the computer asks which you want to boot from.  I would get all the files off of your HDD, Format it, add it back as another empty drive and then you'll only have the one windows install to deal with.

If you go into your BIOS, you can also set the SSD as the first boot option, if you don't want to delete the install on the HDD.

Yeah i can switch it but as I mentioned the system CAN'T boot from the SSD directly and the boot orden whenever is changed to SSD 1st it can't boot, only HDD 1st and though the volumen menu

24 minutes ago, Mario Ezquerro said:

Yeah i can switch it but as I mentioned the system CAN'T boot from the SSD directly and the boot orden whenever is changed to SSD 1st it can't boot, only HDD 1st and though the volumen menu

Unplug the HDD and try

21 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Unplug the HDD and try

Yeah im defenetly going to try that, maybe I should have done that since the begining of the isntallation

18 hours ago, Mario Ezquerro said:

Maybe not only during installation, moving the drive, unplugging/plugging it back, applications installed corrupting system files/boot files and let's not forget about damaged sectors. Everything counts but the thing is that the drive cannot boot, so try it on another computer or different slots/ports if you don't have access to a secondary machine, format your drive again, boot only with this drive connected, what you need is to isolate the problem of the drive and if problem persists I would recommend you to do RMA on that unit. 

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

17 hours ago, seagate_surfer said:

Okay, I tried changing the boot order, switching the cables (power and SATA), I tried letting only the SSD boot with nothing else plugged except the DVD-reader and I can't get it to work.

I'll give you some screenshots of the file system and partitions:

5b755138eb9ff_Discspartitions.png.7759b9a68a147643060e8a06cf882473.pngto the SSD 5b7551376e92f_Filesystem.thumb.png.87fc649e18f14fba6e21ab27bf3db7b0.pngKingston SSD                                                                                                                           Seagate Barracuda HHD