where to install grub

I have 4 drives ssd/hdd, One for Windows(ssd Boot Drive), One for Windows storage, One for Hackintosh, and One for Kali Linux but I haven't installed kali yet. So My question is What drive Would I install the Grub Bootloader On?

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix LP      DDR4-2400
  • GPU                                            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb
  • Case
    Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung 250GB 850 pro,        WD Black 1TB, WD blue 3TB
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
  • Display(s)
    Asus vg248qe, Asus vg245h
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

18 minutes ago, Tylerebowers said:

I have 4 drives ssd/hdd, One for Windows(ssd Boot Drive), One for Windows storage, One for Hackintosh, and One for Kali Linux but I haven't installed kali yet. So My question is What drive Would I install the Grub Bootloader On?

The one with kalli, and have it boot from that drive. Then grub should allow to boot from the others too.

You can also just use the boot options menu of your motherboard to select drive/os. That's what I do. ;)

Preferably you'd install it onto the fastest boot media you have, in this case, the SSD. The problem is, you also have Windows' boot loader installed on it. So really your only solution here is to install it onto any of the others :/

Desktop: HP Z220 Workstation, 12 GB RAM, 2x500 GB HDD RAID0, + GTX 1060 3GB

Laptop: ThinkPad T430, 8 GB RAM, 1x120 GB SSD

UEFI or Legacy?

With UEFI, you might 1) not use Grub at all or 2) Install Grub on the EFI partition.

Don't use Legacy if your computer is recent enough to use UEFI.

If you really need to use Legacy, it doesn't really matter where you install Grub. Grub itself is quite agnostic. It makes sense to install it on the HD which has the Linux distribution, somehow (one obvious benefit is that if a HD fails, you will have a more intact setup, possibly...)

I hereby proclaim the rules of grub installation devices.

1.) Thou shalt not install grub over a Windows Bootloader, unless dual booting and this is the only drive in the machine.

2.) Thou shalt not install grub on a device which doesn't have the linux operating system, exception in point 1, unless you know what the hell you're doing.

3.) Thou shalt install multiple instances of grub on RAID1 mirrored drives.  (otherwise it's fairly pointless having the RAID if you can't boot it without throwing in a rescue disk and chrooting to install grub on another drive......)

Submissions for the rules welcome!