Resetting Windows & Viruses

SwiftKey

Hi,

I am looking to reset/fresh install windows because I have installed some programs unintentionally on my SSD and want to clean up the computer to speed it up and remove any possible viruses (I don't have an active scanner but every once in a while I will use Malware Bytes and CCleaner to check for viruses and clear useless files). According to Malware Bytes there is nothing however I want to use the computer for more sensitive work (any other recommended scanners?).

If i do reset windows, will viruses be removed with it too or ill still have them laying around on my internal HDD and active. Also will my internal HDD's files be removed with the windows reset or not? 

Appreciate any extended information. Thanks! :)

A reformat will clear your issues, very rare does a virus impact hardware and if you're dealing with that, you'll know, or eventually just upgrade.

W10 offers backup when you install over-top of a setup or upgrade if you have enough space!

For simplicity, just use W10 default anti-virus and whatever you prefer for malware/cleaning histories/etc

1 hour ago, Tyler Moore said:

A reformat will clear your issues, very rare does a virus impact hardware and if you're dealing with that, you'll know, or eventually just upgrade.

W10 offers backup when you install over-top of a setup or upgrade if you have enough space!

For simplicity, just use W10 default anti-virus and whatever you prefer for malware/cleaning histories/etc

Thanks for the response :)

3 hours ago, SwiftKey said:

If i do reset windows, will viruses be removed with it too or ill still have them laying around on my internal HDD and active. Also will my internal HDD's files be removed with the windows reset or not? 

You can reset Windows and still keep your files, but I still backup everything just in case something goes horribly wrong.

Obviously if you opt to reset Windows and remove everything, all your files (including malware if you have one, apparently not) are going to be deleted as well.

My suggestion if you want to do sensitive work and wish to increase security, some of my friends do it in a virtual machine (overkill in my opinion). I personally just create two accounts, one admin (must be password protected) and one local. You use the local account, if people want to mess your PC up and install random stuff they need your admin password.

I use avast! paired with Malwarebytes, but to be honest if you know what you're doing Windows Defender/Microsoft Security Essential works just fine.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold