X58 Troubleshooting

csakstar

I picked up a not working motherboard/CPU/RAM combo (Intel DX58SO) and I've narrowed down the issues to the motherboard. The board powers on just fine, GPU fans spin up, CPU fan goes to max RPM, the HDD drive light turns on briefly when booting up the system, and the 24-pin power light turns on just fine. I've tried it running with and without RAM and the board won't post. I've tried the i7 940 that it came with (tested it on another X58 board and it works fine), a Xeon X5650 and a Xeon W3520, all to no avail. I've tried with different GPUs (R9 290, RX 560D 2GB, GTX 660 Ti) all to no avail. I've also tried clearing the CMOS and changing the CMOS battery which did nothing. Unfortunately, the board doesn't seem to have an onboard speaker and it doesn't have an LED debug readout, so I can't really use those for troubleshooting. Is there anything else that I should try to get this old board up and running? 

20 hours ago, csakstar said:

I picked up a not working motherboard/CPU/RAM combo (Intel DX58SO) and I've narrowed down the issues to the motherboard. The board powers on just fine, GPU fans spin up, CPU fan goes to max RPM, the HDD drive light turns on briefly when booting up the system, and the 24-pin power light turns on just fine. I've tried it running with and without RAM and the board won't post. I've tried the i7 940 that it came with (tested it on another X58 board and it works fine), a Xeon X5650 and a Xeon W3520, all to no avail. I've tried with different GPUs (R9 290, RX 560D 2GB, GTX 660 Ti) all to no avail. I've also tried clearing the CMOS and changing the CMOS battery which did nothing. Unfortunately, the board doesn't seem to have an onboard speaker and it doesn't have an LED debug readout, so I can't really use those for troubleshooting. Is there anything else that I should try to get this old board up and running? 

You may be able to buy a internal pc speaker and hook it up to your mobo, but the manual for this motherboard is garbage so I can't tell.

http://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/127716/intel-dx58so.html?page=12

Look for a header on the motherboard called JFP2. If you have that, you can do this and then troubleshoot it with the beep codes.

The manual doesn't list it though so don't get your hopes up.

If you get anything on your monitor while trying to start it, the post codes show in the bottom right while trying to boot, but I doubt you'd be asking here if you could see the screen at all.