Help Setting Up Home Network

Hello Everyone!

Let's just say it's been a few years since I have been in the networking scene... I am looking for 2 things.

1. A shared network drive (Example: An 'M:\' Drive that all PCs on network can access)

2. An "endpoint" for a VPN. When my wife is at school, she would like to be able to VPN to the home network so she can access the M drive.

At my disposal I have...

A. Windows Server 2012 R2

B. Windows 10

C. All Linux Distros

I am just trying to figure out the easiest way to do this. I would think it would be too difficult. But, it has been so long since I have done anything like this. I would probably just use the built-in VPN on the remote computer. If I can think of anything else, I can edit the post.

Thank you, everyone!

I currently have something very similar setup myself. 

For VPN I user a docker container: https://hub.docker.com/r/kylemanna/openvpn/

This take away a lot of the complexity of setting up a VPN, you follow the guide and open the required port on your router. But on the other hand you do have to setup docker first so it might depend if you already use docker for anything? 

As this is openVPN, pretty much any client can connect, I use it on my laptop and phone.

For a shared drive I just use samba on Ubuntu but to be honest any os will allow you to share a drive so whatever is most convenient for you...