2010 MBP High Sierra Trackpad settings issue.

Hi!

I’m using a 2010 MBP currently with Sierra again.

I got the laptop without a hard drive.

Thanks to my friend I was able to get a bootable USB with High Sierra on it.

I put an SSD in and the installation went fine! After setting it up, I went through the settings and noticed that under “settings” the trackpad settings were not available.

It says “connect trackpad” even though I’m using it and it works fine and is clicky.

the laptop had a bloaded battery before, so several people online suggested that the inability to access trackpad settings is due to potential damage to trackpad ribbon cable.

Because I didn’t like the performance on this 2010 machine, I downgraded to Sierra which I installed freshly, no backup used.

After setting Sierra up, I did get into the trackpad settings and were able to customize the three and four finger gestures.

Now I have 8gb of ram in it and thinking of upgrading to HS again through the app store this time though. Not via bootable usb.

Will the trackpad settings be available after the upgrade to High Sierra? Why weren’t they in the first place? The ribbon cable seems fine, since it works under Sierra.

anyone experienced a similar issue? Or would you even suggesting upgrading to HS or staying on Sierra?

2010 MBP, 248GB SSD, 2,4 GH, 8GB ram.

Thanks very much!

The mid 2010 model is known for the swollen/bloated battery pushing on the trackpad.  I have a client who had a similar issue. He was not able to click with the trackpad, but all the tap functions and gestures worked. He was on 10.6 Snow Leopard and I just formatted his computer and updated him to High Sierra. All trackpad functions except click work.

All I can suggest is doing a clean install again. Maybe something in the settings got corrupted.

6 hours ago, fixME said:

The mid 2010 model is known for the swollen/bloated battery pushing on the trackpad.  I have a client who had a similar issue. He was not able to click with the trackpad, but all the tap functions and gestures worked. He was on 10.6 Snow Leopard and I just formatted his computer and updated him to High Sierra. All trackpad functions except click work.

All I can suggest is doing a clean install again. Maybe something in the settings got corrupted.

Thank you very much. After replacing the battery, the click actually does work again too. 

I was wondering why when I made the very first fresh clean install of High Sierra, the trackpad settings didnt show up. (Like where you can assign 3&4 finger gestures.)

However after a clean install of Sierra they were available.

I'm thinking maybe the first installation process got corrupted. Thats why I'm thinking of updating through the App store now, because they are currently available in Sierra.