Raid 0, x2 SSD's

EmptySoul

Evening All,

Okay really really quick question. I have two SSD's in my system both around 500gb. A Samsung 850 Evo and some random off brand SK Hynix maybe you've heard of it but its new to me. I currently have them as separate drives, use the Samsung for OS, Games & Documents and the other one purely as a download drive. Files get downloaded onto the Hynix and then moved over to the media server. Should I convert them to Raid 0? that way I get the combined storage and a possible performance increase. I have nothing locally that can not be lost, just games and OS. I am aware of the risks with raid 0 but not the extent...

So my question is Does Raid 0 wear out disks FASTER than using them as a single drive?

Thanks,

They're already SSDs, do you really need them to be faster? If you already have stuff on them (your games and OS), you'll lose it all. 

SK Hynix... off brand? 

It's not worth it. You won't see much difference in real world performance, but you get all the issues that come with RAID 0. Only time RAID 0 is worth it is for scratch disks IMO. 

EDIT: Also, to put them in a RAID 0 array, you'll need to format both of them in the process. 

you will also get an increase in your boot time as the array has to load on each boot too. I currently have my OS on a raid 0 and plan to change for a single ssd in the near future.