HDMI Splitter, or switch?

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

A splitter will display the same thing to both the rift and the monitor at the same time, while the switch will switch between the two, as if you were changing the cable. 

Honestly, I would recommend getting an adaptor for the monitor, so DisplayPort to HDMI or DVI to HDMI and have the headset directly through HDMI. It's a better solution than a switch or splitter as it allows you to use both at the same time.

I have a graphics card with 1 HDMI port but I have a VR headset that needs 1 and a monitor that needs one, I would like to be able to switch between the two and not have to hotswap the HDMI cable every time. I don't know if I need an HDMI splitter or switch. I don't know if the Graphics card is the source and the monitor/rift is the display (I assume this is the correct way) or if its the other way around.
Thanks.

A splitter will display the same thing to both the rift and the monitor at the same time, while the switch will switch between the two, as if you were changing the cable. 

Honestly, I would recommend getting an adaptor for the monitor, so DisplayPort to HDMI or DVI to HDMI and have the headset directly through HDMI. It's a better solution than a switch or splitter as it allows you to use both at the same time.