Summer Upgrade Need help

shea99

So i plan on upgrading in the summer months. I am not entirely sure of my budget yet but ball park with the parts ive picked so far.

Will be used for gaming and my uni work with web development and some graphic design.

So my first decision is the system, and ive come up with three different builds.

i5 8600k https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/z3XwP3

i7 7700k https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/B6GZLJ

R5 1600x https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/tmzVnH

(I should mention that the case and storage as well as peripherals i already have)

so my first question is which do you recommend as i genuinely cant decided with the all being in and around what im looking to spend.

The second decision is cooling. I have no experience with water cooling as of yet and i want to change that. Now im not sure whether to go AIO (The h100i is a popular choice which i have considered), or custom which is what i want to do but obviously comes with more risks. Ive been looking at the EK A240G kit (I am aware that the gpu block is not compatible with the 1070 i have listed but its there for hypothetical reasons, i would buy a card that fits obviously). But is this a better option than complete custom. After some loose planning the A240G is £100 cheaper than a custom loop which DOESNT include a gpu block. Also should i only do cpu first and look at a grpahics card block later on with the EK A240 kit being nearly £100 cheaper again. So as much advice as possible on this would be great.

Thirdly i have no idea about monitors and im currently running off a smart tv :( So when i go to game properly with this system i would like to use an actually monito. Probably about a 27" at maybe 144 hz from my little knowledge of them but how much would this set me back aswell. All in all im looking at no more than £1500 total and thats at a push.

Thanks in advance as i know this is a long post 

What are you planning to do with that system? edit: nvm what i just said

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

Just now, thelordofwarr said:

What are you planning to do with that system?

briefly mentioned, but gaming mainly and then some uni work with web dev and some graphic design. 

I would go with the 8600k and an h100iv2 it's easier and gives you more money to upgrade the PSU, I would personally opt for a 650 watt

And then you can oc the 8600k, or even switch it for a 8700k if you are crazy enought

Aios make it easier, a lot easier in my opinion, also you can put a nzxt gpu bracket on your 1070 later when you want to watercool it. 

Depends also on you budget

In term of monitors...I'm not good at that let me see what i can pull up 

Quote=Reply      Feel free to tag me or sth if you have questions about Liquid Metal :) ROCKETS ARE LIFE                                                                      My current build:                                    

CPU: I7 6700k@4.7Ghz 1.31sth V; Liquid Metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut) | Cooler: Corsair H100iv2 | GPU: HIS R9 390 | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB 2133Mhz HyperX FuryX | Storage: 1x 250GB Samsung 960 Evo 1x random 4TB 7200RPM HDD | Case: Lian Li Alpha  550W | PSU: Corsair RM650i | Misc.: 6x Lian Li 120mm Bora RGB Fans

My Build Log: 

1 minute ago, thelordofwarr said:

I would go with the 8600k and an h100iv2 it's easier and gives you more money to upgrade the PSU, I would personally opt for a 650 watt

Yea i forgot to say the psu is just there for the purpose of saying i need one i planned on a 650w 80+ gold corsair i cant remember the model atm but i saw one recently. I would really like to go into custom watercooling

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Cd3YJ8 this would be without a monitor, for that I would go with a 1080p 144hz low latency (1ms) monitor...maybe with gsync if you can find one that fits in you budget. 

With a 1070 you could alos consider a 1440p 100-60hz monitor with low latency and mybe gsync (if you can find one that fits into your budget

All of this is my personal opinion

My Build Log: 

1 hour ago, thelordofwarr said:

Aios make it easier, a lot easier in my opinion, also you can put a nzxt gpu bracket on your 1070 later when you want to watercool it. 

Depends also on you budget

In term of monitors...I'm not good at that let me see what i can pull up 

Yea the simplicity of it does appeal but i do like to dabble alot and it does really interest me 

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Cd3YJ8 this would be without a monitor, for that I would go with a 1080p 144hz low latency (1ms) monitor...maybe with gsync if you can find one that fits in you budget. 

With a 1070 you could alos consider a 1440p 100-60hz monitor with low latency and mybe gsync (if you can find one that fits into your budget

will defo keep this in mind, Just the 8700k that puts me off but ill have to see my budget later on 

If you want you could choose the ekwb kit without the gpu block to get into it and then upgrade later. you just have to pay attention to use aluminium parts. 

also when you do that, you would also need fluid for the loop (anti growth anti corrosion) like the ekwb cryo fuel

you either have to configure the loop yourself, or stick with the alu kit, or with the aio progress

But for a 8700k (or 8600k overclocked) and a 1070 the 240mm rad isn't enought, you say around 240mm per component, 280mm if overclocked @shea99

My Build Log: 

If you want you could choose the ekwb kit without the gpu block to get into it and then upgrade later. you just have to pay attention to use aluminium parts. 

also when you do that, you would also need fluid for the loop (anti growth anti corrosion) like the ekwb cryo fuel

I belive the coolant comes with the kit(but not the anti growth) and that was one of my issues with the kit as obviuosly you cant mix the aluminium and copper parts which then favours the a240G as there would be no addition to the loop

But for a 8700k (or 8600k overclocked) and a 1070 the 240mm rad isn't enought, you say around 240mm per component, 280mm if overclocked @shea99

Ok so if i was to go with the kit would you recommend another 240mm rad, i have an enthoo luxe so i have cap for a 360 in top and 240 in front and i believe a 240 on the bottom so i have the space

https://www.ekfluidgaming.com here is the EK website, you can just add a 360 and then you will be(should be) fine with both of them overclocked

But then you might run out of tubing lenght so maybe need a bit of soft tubing as well

But you can go with the 240g kit and the 360 expansion kit, you could also add a second 240mm if it fits into your budget better, but i would reccomend a 360 with an 8700k

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/RKFD3b this would be all in a pc partpicker list

My Build Log: 

But you can go with the 240g kit and the 360 expansion kit, you could also add a second 240mm if it fits into your budget better, but i would reccomend a 360 with an 8700k

ok thanks this has been a great help 

Definitely think the A240G and the 360 expansion kit would be my best bet, considering im only starting out 

https://www.ekfluidgaming.com here is the EK website, you can just add a 360 and then you will be(should be) fine with both of them overclocked

But then you might run out of tubing lenght so maybe need a bit of soft tubing as well

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/RKFD3b this would be all in a pc partpicker list

So ive priced up the kit with the expansion and it would cost me £320 shipped to me which is really appealing considering when i used the ek config for a custom loop with only a cpu and a 360 rad they costed it at over £400

I included the kit int he list , but i dont know what shipping for you is, if you want to go for it go for it! Watercooooooling

My Build Log: 

as far as parts go you shouldn't be settling on them right now things could change between now and when you buy this stuff. actually it's guaranteed to change, the new ryzen chips will be out and the new nvidia cards as well. it's good to make a plan but include the reevaluation of said plan when the time to buy really comes.

I don't think you have any reason to worry about water cooling or anything else, it's much more straigh forward than you think

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Just now, SquintyG33Rs said:

as far as parts go you shouldn't be settling on them right now things could change between now and when you buy this stuff. actually it's guaranteed to change, the new ryzen chips will be out and the new nvidia cards as well. it's good to make a plan but include the reevaluation of said plan when the time to buy really comes.

I don't think you have any reason to worry about water cooling or anything else, it's much more straigh forward than you think

Yea that is the other thing that new hardware may be out then but it was more to get an idea for the watercooling and monitor options as the actual pc hardware im fine with 

4 minutes ago, shea99 said:

Yea that is the other thing that new hardware may be out then but it was more to get an idea for the watercooling and monitor options as the actual pc hardware im fine with 

i bought the A240 kit with an extra 240rad. you basically make sure everything is tight and voila. (i made a custom case so i wanted the second rad for symmetry). that's why i'm saying there's nothing to worry about.

If you go hardline you'll take an hour to get used to bending and then it's the same smooth sailing from there.

a 1070 class GPU is only borderline capable of pushing 144fps to a 1080p screen on pretty AAA titles. i think a crisper 1440p 75~100Hz monitor strikes a better balance maybe considering ultrawide too. the only way i'd get into the faster screen is if you're really into cs:go competitively.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

3 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

i bought the A240 kit with an extra 240rad. you basically make sure everything is tight and voila. (i made a custom case so i wanted the second rad for symmetry). that's why i'm saying there's nothing to worry about.

If you go hardline you'll take an hour to get used to bending and then it's the same smooth sailing from there.

a 1070 class GPU is only borderline capable of pushing 144fps to a 1080p screen on pretty AAA titles. i think a crisper 1440p 75~100Hz monitor strikes a better balance maybe considering ultrawide too. the only way i'd get into the faster screen is if you're really into cs:go competitively.

Ok thanks this has been great help. I have considered an ultrawide but i would need recommendations more than anything with the monitor. Have you got any pics of the kit in your system ? If you say its simple enough to use i would say thats sold me alot on that point 

1 hour ago, shea99 said:

Ok thanks this has been great help. I have considered an ultrawide but i would need recommendations more than anything with the monitor. Have you got any pics of the kit in your system ? If you say its simple enough to use i would say thats sold me alot on that point 

nah i can't find any pictures and, it's a mess in here right now. but really not complicated to set up. i actually made my life harder cause i had to make some sort of mounting for it to work. in an actual case i can't imagine it would be a challenge at all.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

nah i can't find any pictures and, it's a mess in here right now. but really not complicated to set up. i actually made my life harder cause i had to make some sort of mounting for it to work. in an actual case i can't imagine it would be a challenge at all.

yea i have brackets already as they were sent with the case thanks tho