Sporadic CPU temps under load

KJaboski

Hello all.

I need help from the experienced watercooling community... Well over half a year ago I have built a custom loop including cpu, gpu blocks, d5 pump/res combo and two 360 radiators.

Straight after building and testing the loop I have noticed that the cpu tmeps are not behaving quite right (at least so it seems to me) whilst the gpu stays well under 50C and gradually increases its core temp under load, the cpu from idle temps tend to skyrocket well over to 65C and oscillates its temperatures in range of up to 30C very irregularly across all cores. Sometimes I can see one core hit up to 95C but in split second drop to mid 70s. At first I though to give it some time see if the situation changes due to air bleeding process etc but now after few months it is behaving same way as on day one.

I would like to know if someone came across similar behaviour in their loop and knows what could be the reason for this so I could have some leads on what should I do with it. I am mainly judging that something is wrong by the fact that gpu temps increase gradually in stead of the jumpy temp changes like on cpu. 

I have attached a screen cap form afterburner monitor to show how the temperature jumps look like on a graph, started monitoring in middle of aida64 stress test and at the end the drop visible is after stopping the stress test. Note gpu was not loaded at the time of that stress test and also the same or very similar behaviour happens when under non artificial load i.e when gaming or even loading up chrome with lots of tabs makes the cpu temps sky jump.

CPU is i5 4670k @ 4ghz (big looser to silicon lottery) at almost stock voltage the block used to cool it is ek supremecy evo.

Other specks include gtx 780 cooled with full cover ek block and rest of the cooling equipment is also ek.

Thanks for your input in advance.

TempScreen.PNG

CPU: I5 4670k @ 4ghz Motherboard: MSI z87 G45 Gaming RAM: 2x 4GB Avexir and Corsair 2x4gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk EK PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 750w Boot SSD: Intel 320 120GB Storage: Crucial 256gb ssd and Samsung 250gb ssd

Assuming the block is installed correctly along with routing, I don't see how this is a real issue. Especially with no delid. If it isn't realtemp I don't bother to trust it, even more so with ab telling me cpu stats.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 12.02.2018 at 12:40 AM, Mick Naughty said:

Assuming the block is installed correctly along with routing, I don't see how this is a real issue. Especially with no delid. If it isn't realtemp I don't bother to trust it, even more so with ab telling me cpu stats.

Routing i.e. liquid in and out of the block I am sure I got right, alignment of the block I can't see how I could get that wrong given that I have already reseated the block to see if it changes anything. The temperature measurement is the same across every software I used, realtemp, aida64 even crappy nzxt cam software... just took screenshot of afterburner because it was easy to show.

However I do wonder that do you mean by especially with no delid? How could that possibly effect things?

CPU: I5 4670k @ 4ghz Motherboard: MSI z87 G45 Gaming RAM: 2x 4GB Avexir and Corsair 2x4gb ddr3 @ 1600mhz GPU: MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk EK PSU: EVGA SuperNova P2 750w Boot SSD: Intel 320 120GB Storage: Crucial 256gb ssd and Samsung 250gb ssd

17 minutes ago, KJaboski said:

Routing i.e. liquid in and out of the block I am sure I got right, alignment of the block I can't see how I could get that wrong given that I have already reseated the block to see if it changes anything. The temperature measurement is the same across every software I used, realtemp, aida64 even crappy nzxt cam software... just took screenshot of afterburner because it was easy to show.

However I do wonder that do you mean by especially with no delid? How could that possibly effect things?

As in both of my cpu’s Can hit mid 90’s with a synthetic stress test. Delided my 3rd gen and dropped 20c. 

On a side note is all their air out it the loop? That would effect things quite a bit. I’d turn down to voltage as well. Got mine to the minimum needed for the 4790k, tempss are prett good despite no delid. 

Assuming the the fans arent spinning fast if the gpu is hitting 50c. Is this just sparatic or during something specific? 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz