Dying PSU?

Zandvliet

Hi,

Starting about two weeks ago I have problems when booting my pc. When I hit the power button my pc always doesn't want to start on initial boot. I first have to unplug the power cable from the socket and hold the power button in for about 10 seconds and then plug the power cable back in before I can start my pc again. Sometimes I have to repeat this a couple of times before it actually starts again. 

When this happens the MB doesn't go past the yellow LED lights. And sometimes when the pc starts normally it freezes up quickly and I have to repeat the same steps again. 

After this works and the pc works fine I have no other problems during the day. After a night of having my pc off, it starts all over again.

Does this sound like a dying PSU to you? I hope so, as they are easy to replace.

My specs:

• Corsair HX1000i
  • I7 7700k
  • Asus Strix 270G
  • Gigabyte 970 Gaming

Cheers.

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

Do you have another PSU you can swap out to see if the same thing happens? It could well be the PSU having issues but there are a lot of variables. Also, have you checked (very carefully, with everything unplugged) the PSU for dust buildup?

38 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Do you have another PSU you can swap out to see if the same thing happens? It could well be the PSU having issues but there are a lot of variables. Also, have you checked (very carefully, with everything unplugged) the PSU for dust buildup?

I do have another PSU, but it is a pain to swamp. For starters, they do not have the same pin layout and I modified those cable to fit in an ITX case, plus my main pc is water cooled.. 
I have not checked for dust, that is a useful tip.

Thanks

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

This used to happen to my PC as well, except it didn't freeze. I don't know what caused it but after a month or so it went away and it has been running perfectly ever since. Yours seems a bit more severe. Maybe try another PSU like the others said, but you can just dangle it outside the case and just plug it into your PC from outside since it will only be there for a short while.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM