PC RANDOMLY FREEZES

Luka 999

Okay. Let me list the things I know and all the specs.

SPECS:

CPU: FX 6300 (4.4 GHz)

GPU: GTX 750 ti (from EVGA)

MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P

RAM: 2X4 GB (1866 MHz)

This has been happening for a while now. I first thought it was the VRM heating up too much so I lowered the clock speed and VCore voltage. No effect. Then I took out some LED lights (now the only lights are on the fans) and now it takes longer but the PC still freezes. There is no error code, no blue screen. Nothing. No matter how long I let it turned on. Only the sceen goes black. Then I reset it and everything works fine. I haven't noticed any performance degradation in any games. Also I've let it render a a scene in Blender on the GPU for the time I was in school and when I came back it was still running. I guess that eliminates the chance of a bad power supply since it was running on full load for a few hours. I overclocked the CPU back to 4.4 recently and when I tried to test the stability with Overdrive it freezes in around 30 seconds.

I've read that this might have something to do with RAM timings and frequency so I'll include a screenshot of that from Speccy.

Screenshot (441).png

If it's crashing when you OC, you're pushing it too high, the system doesn't have to BSOD.

It's also possible that your PSU is maxing out, what wattage is it?

On 12/26/2017 at 6:47 PM, Nevexo said:

If it's crashing when you OC, you're pushing it too high, the system doesn't have to BSOD.

It's also possible that your PSU is maxing out, what wattage is it?

550 W. I'm pretty sure it's not maxing out since the fan is barely spinning.

Anyway I'm not gonna say I fixed the problem since I'm currently testing some GPU overclock settings because prior to that most games would freeze due to an unstable overclock on the graphics card. CPU however... I was running Prime95 tests all week, trying to get it stable and bumping up the voltage bit by bit before I got it to run for 12 hours without errors. I got the VCore set to +0.260 V in the BIOS. I guess I've reached it's limits. It needs an absurd amount of voltage to run stable at 4.4 GHz and I really don't want to push my luck since I have a low end mobo with only a 4 PIN CPU power delivery connector.

In conclusion. I experienced one total freezeup of the system while basically idle. I'm not sure if it's the GPU or the CPU. Both had stress tests running on them all night and showed no sign of instability so I'm not really sure what to do.