Beyerdynamics and Amp/Dac

Go to solution Solved by BlackJackTheRipper,

I got some help in the much more active subreddit /r/Headphones and the following is a quote by the redditor "Raimei-Templar" (https://www.reddit.com/user/Raimei-Templar)

MY DECISION IS THE FOLLOWING:

-HEADPHONE: Beyerdynamic Custom Studio (80 Ohms)

-DAC/AMP: Sabaj Da2

-MIC: V-Moda BoomPro

Thank you, Reddit and thanks to Raimei!

Without any small talk, I'm going to jump right into my question.

I want to upgrade my current audio gear (onboard audio of my Gigabyte Z170-HD3P and cheapo Sennheiser headphones)

My budget is around 225€.

I'm really fond of the Beyerdynamic DT-series, but I have no idea which one of the three to get. The DT-880 might be a touch too expensive, but the decision between DT-770 and DT-990 seems quite difficult (both are around 150€). These will be mostly used on my PC for Gaming and music (Jazz, Hip-Hop, and electro).

Wich one would you recommend, or do you have any other headphones that might suit me better?

Using that calculator that the thread about dacs/amps used I came to the conclusion that for the 250Ohm variant of the DT-770 and the DT-990 (only offered as 250Ohm) I might need an amp. The ALC-887 Chip that is supposed to sit in my Motherboard seems to do the job right, but I can hear some issues with channel separation and a slight hissing (only very rarely noticeable). Maybe a DAC/AMP combo would help me?

The Shiit Fulla 2 (recommended by that thread I mentioned) Isn't an option, as it costs around 160€ (110£ + 20£ shipping).

I thought about getting the SMSL M3 which has an ok reputation for an SMSL device and is available for 80€. The new Fiio E10k seems to have lost its reputation right? I saw lots of ppl saying there's something wrong with the DAC in it and it wouldn't really help me with my 250Ohm headphones as it cant push the amount of mW required for these to be loud.

Is the M3 any good and if not, is there a better solution?

I'm quite a newcomer to this whole audio-field, so please excuse me.

If you read through all the junk above then thank you and a good day!

I think you should be fine, I use DT 990 Pro's (250Ohm) myself just on the mobo with Realtek ALC1220 Audio and think it's fine. 

I would say try first and decide than, most mid to high onboard audio can drive 250Ohm headphones just fine and if you need it you can add a amp later on.

If the beyerdynamic's are the right one for you comes down to personal taste anyway, I like them for some they might be to neutral.

6 hours ago, Narnash said:

I think you should be fine, I use DT 990 Pro's (250Ohm) myself just on the mobo with Realtek ALC1220 Audio and think it's fine. 

I would say try first and decide than, most mid to high onboard audio can drive 250Ohm headphones just fine and if you need it you can add a amp later on.

If the beyerdynamic's are the right one for you comes down to personal taste anyway, I like them for some they might be to neutral.

I'm not really sure, as the left/right separation really bugs me. Maybe someone else has experience with the SMSL M3? And do you have the DT-770s too?

BTW: The 1220 is supposed to be way better than the ALC887 (which is like 10 years old), so I'm still uncertain what to choose.

Thank you anyways for responding.

Edited by BlackJackTheRipper

During some browsing (mainly the forum) I came across the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 (they are 180€ on amazon right now). They seem nice on paper, but how do they compare to the DT-990 and DT-770?

Personally i wouldn't let your budget compromise your choices , Many people overlook the used market to buy something new, If the earpads are worn get replacements they aren't expensive. It sounds like you know what you want. Try to find used Audio gear before buying new. I bought my DT-880 pros used and they work perfectly, Happy Hunting

10 minutes ago, Matthew M Hilty said:

Personally i wouldn't let your budget compromise your choices , Many people overlook the used market to buy something new, If the earpads are worn get replacements they aren't expensive. It sounds like you know what you want. Try to find used Audio gear before buying new. I bought my DT-880 pros used and they work perfectly, Happy Hunting

the used market in Germany sucks, that's why that isn't an option. And my problem is that I'm really torn. DT-880 + AMP/DAC or DT-990 + AMP/DAC or ATH-MSR7 + V-MODA.

But thanks for your reply!

Ugh, EU shipping and taxes , I'm sorry to hear that , too bad that's not a good option for you , buying used has always been a way for me to get better gear than my budget allows, I wish you luck

I got some help in the much more active subreddit /r/Headphones and the following is a quote by the redditor "Raimei-Templar" (https://www.reddit.com/user/Raimei-Templar)

MY DECISION IS THE FOLLOWING:

-HEADPHONE: Beyerdynamic Custom Studio (80 Ohms)

-DAC/AMP: Sabaj Da2

-MIC: V-Moda BoomPro

Thank you, Reddit and thanks to Raimei!