Computer BSODs During Windows 10 Install?

Crazycoder4life

Alright guys, I would really appreciate any help here. Usually I'm pretty good with computers, but this one has me stumped! Build details are below.

I was playing Overwatch when I saw this happen. Overwatch crashed and then windows defender prevented it from creating a crash log. (Sigh... Right?) When that happened, I got a system DLL error. Upon clicking "OK" on the error, the PC crashed. Now it BSOD bootloops. I can attempt to get the memory dumps later for it if need be, but it's oftentimes a different error. It may also help you all too know that I had been having trouble with games crashing. I would view event viewer after a crash and see that it was a GPU driver crashing. Trying updating graphic drivers, etc. for that and nothing worked. Finally I found out that if I underclocked my card 105MHz that it would run flawlessly. I also wanted to mention that I have not been doing any underclocking/overclocking otherwise.

Alright, so after the BSOD bootloop began, I tried to format and reinstall the OS. I do not have an internal optical drive, so I have tried using a USB written through RUFUS and a USB-external DVD (OEM disc). Regardless of whether I try to install using the USB or External-DVD (USB) through legacy or UEFI mode, it fails. 

To make things even more strange, I found that if I booted it in legacy and removed the usb or unplug the optical drive and then plug them back in while it was showing the windows symbol with the loading dots, it would blue screen (stating I/O error of course) and then allow me to go into advanced startup settings and select safe mode (was unable to get into safe mode otherwise, or at least I don't know of a way to without doing this). Now I have added an entry in msconfig so that I can go into safe mode without doing that.. Lol. 

Anyways, so another weird thing I found is that sometimes after choosing safe mode, it would boot the installation in safe mode!! WTF?! So I decided to try to install it and see what happens.. At that point, the installation went through and I was excited (how can you format a drive within OS?!).. It was weird, after I began the actual installation, you couldn't tell it was in safe mode any more (if it even was?).. Anyways, all was well until it restarted. Now, it gets hung on the "getting ready" screen. Weirdly enough, it gets stuck on something different just about every time I boot from it. One time it got stuck on getting ready, another time it got stuck on the loading dots spinning, and another time the loading dots were all scrambled and it just froze.

Needless to say, I can't even get into safemode anymore and now it's still getting a BSOD when I try to reinstall.

I'm literally clueless. I can only assume that it is something hardware related. Unfortunately I don't have another system to swap hardware and test.  Any ideas?!

Build specs:

MSI Z270 Gaming M7

ZOTAC 1080ti Amp Extreme

i7-7700k w/ Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler

32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz Trident Z RGB RAM

Samsung 960 Evo Pro M.2 (NVMe)

WD 1TB Slave

Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

clear cmos 

Tried that once already, should have put that in my post I'm sorry. I will try it again when I get home though.

1 minute ago, Jaxzzzzz said:

so if im understanding u correctly, you cannot boot into windws

Cannot boot into windows (which is now a fresh install hung on the tasks after restart), and cannot install windows either apparently. 

Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

can you get into the bios tho

Sure can. I've tried installing in Legacy+UEFI, UEFI alone, and I've tried it with MSI-Fast Boot and Fast Boot both enabled, disabled, and one disabled and the other enabled. No luck. :(

Just now, Jaxzzzzz said:

and is everything normal and recognized 

Yes sir. Everything is detected, and I don't see anything strange. It detects my HDD, my NVMe SSD, and both the flash drive and USB external.

Have you tried pulling the GPU and running off the integrated graphics to see if it's a GPU hardware problem?

8 minutes ago, soundblastdj said:

Have you tried pulling the GPU and running off the integrated graphics to see if it's a GPU hardware problem?

I have not - that's actually on my to do list of things to do tonight! It is my primary suspect as for hardware at this point. If that doesn't work though, then I have no clue where to even start.

Really sounds like a hardware issue, first stop as soundsblastdj suggested would be pull the GPU, maybe even run a memory test, have you overclocked the CPU, i would even suggest checking if you have the latest BIOS for the MB.

If you cant solve this with hardware tinkering what version of Win10 are you trying to install, maybe try an earlier version, then upgrade after, hell you could probably even get a copy of Win7 to try then upgrade just to rule out any software incompatibility.

Edited by Swaffy
Further suggestions

2 hours ago, Swaffy said:

Really sounds like a hardware issue, first stop as soundsblastdj suggested would be pull the GPU, maybe even run a memory test, have you overclocked the CPU, i would even suggest checking if you have the latest BIOS for the MB.

If you cant solve this with hardware tinkering what version of Win10 are you trying to install, maybe try an earlier version, then upgrade after, hell you could probably even get a copy of Win7 to try then upgrade just to rule out any software incompatibility.

Sounds great, I will pull the GPU and run a memtest if I can get one to boot (which I'm doubting, honestly.. I'll try though). The CPU is not overclocked and never has been. The BIOS is the latest revision.

I'm not aware of how to install a previous version of windows 10. I am using an OEM copy, and you cannot choose the version. I can try Windows 7, but I don't think it will change the fact that it won't boot from the DVD to be honest. I couldn't boot from Hiren's BootCD, so I doubt it will be different for another ISO. I'll try it though. :(

Memtest 0 errors on 5 passes. Will be pulling the GPU over the next hour or so. In the meantime, does anyone know how to test an NVMe drive? I almost think it could be the NVMe!

Turns out it will boot Hirens no problem, just not windows 10 install. Hmm...

Removed GPU, no good. Removed NVMe and used old HDD, no good. Removed one stick of ram just to try it (noticed that there’s a component of some kind coming loose from the chip [even though it ran memtest with no errors..]) but still no good. Sigh... any ideas at this point?

Got fedora loading with IPDT to test the processor. No response from anyone so I’m guessing everyone is as clueless as I am??

socket 0 core 7 loop 1 fail on cache test in IPDT. Going to try a reseat and see if that helps. If not looks like RMA it is.. I’m concerned that maybe there an issue with PSU or MOBO that causes the processor to fail. Never seen an i7 die in 3 months...