HDD dying? (almost certain)

Thomas5020

I have an ST3000DM001 This drive has been in  service for 2 and a half years, running for over 7300 hours. According to backblaze data these drives mainly start dying after 2 years. 

It recently made a noise so loud I could hear it through my headset playing fallout 4 and talking in discord. Based on the sound recordings on http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php it sounds like the start of bad heads. Would i be right in saying that if the heads go bad they can just be replaced or replace the whole actuator arm in the drive? Provided the heads don't crash into the platter or somehow cause damage? I really want to retire this awful drive but don't have the money for a replacement yet. 

The uncorrectable sector count has been on 8 for around a year now, and the current pending sector count recently wen't from 8 to 0. 

2 minutes ago, Thomas5020 said:

I have an ST3000DM001 This drive has been in  service for 2 and a half years, running for over 7300 hours. According to backblaze data these drives mainly start dying after 2 years. 

It recently made a noise so loud I could hear it through my headset playing fallout 4 and talking in discord. Based on the sound recordings on http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php it sounds like the start of bad heads. Would i be right in saying that if the heads go bad they can just be replaced or replace the whole actuator arm in the drive? Provided the heads don't crash into the platter or somehow cause damage? I really want to retire this awful drive but don't have the money for a replacement yet. 

The uncorrectable sector count has been on 8 for around a year now, and the current pending sector count recently wen't from 8 to 0. 

Back up your data and cross your fingers.

Just now, Thomas5020 said:

Yep that's what I have been doing on my 1TB external, can't get everything but I've got the most important data. :( 

Have you thought about putting your external drive into the PC as the main drive?

1 minute ago, Marshnt said:

Have you thought about putting your external drive into the PC as the main drive?

It wouldn't be big enough, as it is a 1TB and I have used more than 1TB on my drive. But I share this external drive with my family (still live at home) so we can all back up our device files onto it. I've still got an SSD anyway so the PC will still work if the HDD goes