Old PC - possible mining candidate?

With GPU prices higher than they usually are, the bitcoin market has attracted more than the usual amount of people. I'm completely new to this, barely know the basic things like what pools are. I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me to get into it to maybe make a few dollars and learn about it. The hardware I'd be running it on is pathetic, so I'd doubt I'd get anything, but its worth a shot. Its CPU is an AMD Athlon 64X2 4000+, 2.1G, 1MX2, Dual Core, 65Watt, and I'm pretty sure the GPU is an NVIDIA 8800 or some variant. Its got 1GB of DDR2 300MHz and then a 2GB page file set up, for what its worth. I've got Windows XP Home and PuppyLinux installed on it. 

Worth it to even try to learn and possibly make a dollar or two? 

Is the machine even capable of it in the first place? 

Alternate currencies besides Bitcoin? 

You won't get very far with that hardware. I mean come on, 1GB of RAM and that old of a GPU? Upgrade it with some more RAM, a newer version of Windows (7 should do) and use it for F@H with something like a 750 Ti. That would make better sense than trying to mine. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

You won't get very far with that hardware. I mean come on, 1GB of RAM and that old of a GPU? Upgrade it with some more RAM, a newer version of Windows (7 should do) and use it for F@H with something like a 750 Ti. That would make better sense than trying to mine. 

I'm attempting to make it to the starting line here lol. I agree that it needs at least 4GB of RAM to be considered much of anything but a potato. Its basically a rig for me to test random stuff on. 

Answer is no without a hardware upgrade? 

9 minutes ago, Septimus said:

With GPU prices higher than they usually are, the bitcoin market has attracted more than the usual amount of people. I'm completely new to this, barely know the basic things like what pools are. I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me to get into it to maybe make a few dollars and learn about it. The hardware I'd be running it on is pathetic, so I'd doubt I'd get anything, but its worth a shot. Its CPU is an AMD Athlon 64X2 4000+, 2.1G, 1MX2, Dual Core, 65Watt, and I'm pretty sure the GPU is an NVIDIA 8800 or some variant. Its got 1GB of DDR2 300MHz and then a 2GB page file set up, for what its worth. I've got Windows XP Home and PuppyLinux installed on it. 

Worth it to even try to learn and possibly make a dollar or two? 

Is the machine even capable of it in the first place? 

Alternate currencies besides Bitcoin? 

I wouldn't even bother. The electricity cost would probably end up being more than the amount of bitcoin you could potentially mine.

1 minute ago, Septimus said:

I'm attempting to make it to the starting line here lol. I agree that it needs at least 4GB of RAM to be considered much of anything but a potato. Its basically a rig for me to test random stuff on. 

Answer is no without a hardware upgrade? 

Pretty much. Also, you shouldn't be running Windows XP anymore. F@H makes the most sense for me with that rig, as long as you put some more RAM and something like a 750 Ti in it. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2