Honest Upgrade or wait.

Chris.W

Hello all.

P5Q-Deluxe

E8400 Dual Core 3Ghz

8GB DDR2 1000mhz memory (4 Dimms)

XFX Radeon 7850 2GB GPU running 3 monitors. (2x 1080p, 1x TV at 1366x768)

I'm currently running a rather old overall rig, with some upgraded componants; mainly the video card as you can see. As with every new game that comes out, I keep wondering if my system can keep up with more and more of the current titles (in single monitor gaming) and if such specifics really matter. Of course, I don't expect to put it up against the true bad boys of triple A titles that actually attempt to push hardware to the limits and come out alive; so to speak. I would love to get some opinions on this. Upgrading unfortunatelly isn't in the cards right now but some guidelines and suggestions as to what to look for would be amazing.

I use my PC as an overall media center PC as well as productivity; an all around workhorse for all my needs; if those details help any. I apologize about the structure of this post as I'm simply writing it on the fly. Thanks for the read, guys and gals.

UPGRADEEEE

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

To be honest, it's a little hard to tell. You know how you'll use a computer for so long and just get used to how it runs. I do find it cludgy in certain tasks but in others, it seems plenty well. I suppose I'm not quite sure what to exactly expect from an upgrade and in all truth, I can't really decide what would be a suitable upgrade when the time comes. I tend to try and stick it out with hardware as long as I can. I was running an HD 3870 before the video card upgrade if that gives you any indication. lol. Perhaps I should have thought more on the subject before posting but I thought to post and get some opinions at the very least.

If you already feel like it, upgrading it would be a much of a change to your overall needs. But if you can wait until 2014, I'm sure there will be new stuff going on.

Hello all.

P5Q-Deluxe

E8400 Dual Core 3Ghz

8GB DDR2 1000mhz memory (4 Dimms)

XFX Radeon 7850 2GB GPU running 3 monitors. (2x 1080p, 1x TV at 1366x768)

I'm currently running a rather old overall rig, with some upgraded componants; mainly the video card as you can see. As with every new game that comes out, I keep wondering if my system can keep up with more and more of the current titles (in single monitor gaming) and if such specifics really matter. Of course, I don't expect to put it up against the true bad boys of triple A titles that actually attempt to push hardware to the limits and come out alive; so to speak. I would love to get some opinions on this. Upgrading unfortunatelly isn't in the cards right now but some guidelines and suggestions as to what to look for would be amazing.

I use my PC as an overall media center PC as well as productivity; an all around workhorse for all my needs; if those details help any. I apologize about the structure of this post as I'm simply writing it on the fly. Thanks for the read, guys and gals.

I'm also running an E8400 along w/ 4gb RAM and a more recent GTX 650ti boost right now, I'm about to be doing a full upgrade this week since I've been feeling the system slowing down overall. I believe its time to let it go, it's been putting out everyday since '08 for me. 

Dazx; What are you getting in your upgrade? Also, thanks t everyone else who replied to this!

It really depends on your budget, I personally went from the exact same processor, the E8400 to an FX 8320.
Games that were completely unplayable for me before like Crysis 3 are running as smooth as butter now.

And when you are compressing or decompressing some .rar or .zip files you do feel the 8 cores working, my overclocked E8400 would spend 3 and a half minutes decompressing a file and my 8320 would finish the same task in 50 seconds , that's just one example for the sort of productivity performance improvement that you will notice.

I think an upgrade to an FX 6300 or an FX 8320 would be your best bets, the AM3+ platform is quite affordable and the $110-$150 AMD CPUs are extraordinarily powerful compared to the equivalent intel CPUs.