Synergy not connecting

I was hoping that I could use Synergy to interact with my laptop while I'm at home to help make processing files faster.

Synergy won't allow the laptop to connect to the desktop and keeps giving me the error message:

[2017-03-31T18:40:18] NOTE: accepted client connection

[2017-03-31T18:40:18] WARNING: unrecognised client name "UserLaptop", check server config

[2017-03-31T18:40:18] NOTE: disconnecting client "UserLaptop"

[2017-03-31T18:40:18] NOTE: client "UserLaptop" has disconnected

When I open the server config the only thing listed is the desktop so I can't edit any of the configurations files for the laptop. The server is not seeing anything that is trying to connect to the computer.

I've already tried to follow the troubleshooting guide that they have on their site, but I can't edit the configuration of the laptop through the server settings because the server doesn't see it.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Me feels sad for you, since no one seems to reply. So I did some digging.

Found some tutorials for installing synergy. The Ubuntu version uses .conf files (back in 2007). Those kind of files are usually plain text files, which can be edited in windows with notepad. I asume you got that far, but you said you can't edit/save the changes. Check if the file has a "read only" option. If it has, remove it.

*me hopes you can filter out a solution from all of this, and if you can't, put some screenshots etc up here for the real nerds*

• 2 weeks later...

Ive got the exact same issue. Were you able to find a solution?

9 hours ago, edd said:

Ive got the exact same issue. Were you able to find a solution?

Not yet, I'm going to call support and ask them. I'm unsure if I need two keys or not, but you would think that only one is needed.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Did you setup your server, client, and then add your client to your server? Silly question but after you learn how to configure it its a really nice program :-)

"Talk is cheap. Show me the code."

1 hour ago, LegionOfOne said:

Did you setup your server, client, and then add your client to your server? Silly question but after you learn how to configure it its a really nice program :-)

I can't remember, but I think I accidentally set up the client on the laptop first then the server. I tried to reinstall to get the process working correctly but I think that it embeds files somewhere. I know of a program that can get them all but would rather not use it since I was hoping not have to buy another license.

You shouldn't have to buy another license and the order you install them shouldn't matter. Whats happening is that you haven't added the client to your server config. Get yourself to the server config and click the little monitor in the top right to add a screen. Place it where you want in the in grid and give an ID that matches your client computer. If you can provide screenshots I can help more. I am not at my main PC at the moment so unfortunately I can't provide you screen shots until later if you need them.

1 minute ago, LegionOfOne said:

You shouldn't have to buy another license and the order you install them shouldn't matter. Whats happening is that you haven't added the client to your server config. Get yourself to the server config and click the little monitor in the top right to add a screen. Place it where you want in the in grid and give an ID that matches your client computer. If you can provide screenshots I can help more. I am not at my main PC at the moment so unfortunately I can't provide you screen shots until later if you need them.

I'll try this when I get home, not in front of the server computer right now. I'll let you know how it goes and try to give more information if possible.

Just now, DragonTamer1 said:

I'll try this when I get home, not in front of the server computer right now. I'll let you know how it goes and try to give more information if possible.

Awesome :-) let me know.

6 hours ago, LegionOfOne said:

Not him but omg thank you so much. It finally works and its just as awesome as i imagined. Why doesnt this step appear in any of the set up guides?? Ive always seen the client appear automatically. Anyway finnaly resolved. Your a god among men 

8 hours ago, LegionOfOne said:

You drag and drop... you freaking drag and drop... Why does it look like a button that you have to click?!

I got it working, but it pisses me off that I didn't notice that sooner and now I want to punch something >:(

29 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

You drag and drop... you freaking drag and drop... Why does it look like a button that you have to click?!

I got it working, but it pisses me off that I didn't notice that sooner and now I want to punch something >:(

HAHAHAHA! I am TOTALLY not laughing AT you I'm laughing with you. That was literally my learning curve EXACTLY!!! I found out how to use it and was like... well from a UX stand point that's just like... bad... haha. Glad you got it working!

Cheers!

2 hours ago, edd said:

Not him but omg thank you so much. It finally works and its just as awesome as i imagined. Why doesnt this step appear in any of the set up guides?? Ive always seen the client appear automatically. Anyway finnaly resolved. Your a god among men 

Honestly I might just email the symless team I am certain they would be happy an amend their docs as that step in the user guid would make all the difference in the world for folks!