Widows 10 Parental Controls

Hey everyone, 

I am sure this is something that a majority of you font worry about but I am hoping that there are a few that have kids and strive to keep them safe. My concern is parental control's and how win 10 asks to setup an email for your child/user. I am leery of having my kids who are young having an email but do not have parental controls as far as I understand. Is there anyone out there that has setup kids accounts that can settle my anxiety?

I am pretty sure that you are able to skip putting in an email when you set up an account on Windows 10.

I have capitulated and gave a email and went through all the controls. I could have done a local account like I have done but there not controls unless there is a separate account that is under your Microsoft account. I am still looking into it as we go. I guess it's eventually going to come, I better learn now. Thanks for the reply.

50 minutes ago, kwmartin24 said:

I have capitulated and gave a email and went through all the controls. I could have done a local account like I have done but there not controls unless there is a separate account that is under your Microsoft account. I am still looking into it as we go. I guess it's eventually going to come, I better learn now. Thanks for the reply.

With windows 10 you need a microsoft account to use parental controls.

If you use a local account, you won't be able to use parental controls unlike in windows 7. That's unfortunate, i know, microsoft marketing...

11 hours ago, kwmartin24 said:

Hey everyone, 

I am sure this is something that a majority of you font worry about but I am hoping that there are a few that have kids and strive to keep them safe. My concern is parental control's and how win 10 asks to setup an email for your child/user. I am leery of having my kids who are young having an email but do not have parental controls as far as I understand. Is there anyone out there that has setup kids accounts that can settle my anxiety?

In my shop, we have had multiple clients come in wanting the W10 parental controls installed on a child's computer.. Although this is a great intent, the child still is able to get around some many of the control measures. The best way to protect your children is through the router. Instead of limiting things on the device, which Microsoft controls through applications, its better to make these changes tied to the device's MAC address in your router. you can give them access to specific sites, restricting the rest of the internet universe. This is much more reliable since they cannot get around it.

The most recent clients had issues with a teenage child looking up p0rn. They had us set up the parental controls, but this does more restriction through Edge than essentially any other browser. It also isn't too good at stopping the installation of any other browser. So we had to install a bunch of browsers to implement them with the parental controls. If someone is determined, then they will find a way.

I think going through the router is the best way. My child is 7, and doesn't really access the internet other than Amazon Kindle Store for apps on his Kindle. When he starts using a computer, I'll limit his access through the router.

On Mon Jan 30 2017 at 9:21 AM, Ryujin2003 said:

In my shop, we have had multiple clients come in wanting the W10 parental controls installed on a child's computer.. Although this is a great intent, the child still is able to get around some many of the control measures. The best way to protect your children is through the router. Instead of limiting things on the device, which Microsoft controls through applications, its better to make these changes tied to the device's MAC address in your router. you can give them access to specific sites, restricting the rest of the internet universe. This is much more reliable since they cannot get around it.

The most recent clients had issues with a teenage child looking up p0rn. They had us set up the parental controls, but this does more restriction through Edge than essentially any other browser. It also isn't too good at stopping the installation of any other browser. So we had to install a bunch of browsers to implement them with the parental controls. If someone is determined, then they will find a way.

I think going through the router is the best way. My child is 7, and doesn't really access the internet other than Amazon Kindle Store for apps on his Kindle. When he starts using a computer, I'll limit his access through the router.

thank you. are you able to setup restrictions per device or is this a blanket control for all users and devices? I am asking because of experience in setting parental controls up and it either being to strong to where no one was able to get around the Internet or to weak and stuff still being able to be accessed. I will have to look into how my router is and play around with it. Thanks again.

moved to the Windows section

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 hours ago, kwmartin24 said:

thank you. are you able to setup restrictions per device or is this a blanket control for all users and devices? I am asking because of experience in setting parental controls up and it either being to strong to where no one was able to get around the Internet or to weak and stuff still being able to be accessed. I will have to look into how my router is and play around with it. Thanks again.

On  router it's per device, since you restrict per Mac Address. This makes it super impossible to get around since the router does yhe restrictions, not the PC. You can restrict using software on the PC, and they just have to proxy or download a browser you didn't think of, and they are good.

Routers are much more reliable. Instead of saying where you cannot go, you say where you can only go.