Help needed with M.2 SSD

so im looking to get an M.2 SSD and i was looking for an NVME drive. what im confused about is on my motherboard it says in the user manual (Asus Z170 Sabertooth S) that its an M.2 x4 NGFF SSD slot type M that supports both SATA and PCIE modes, but i've never seen the term NGFF used before. as this is a big investment i wanted to know more.

mainly

1.  can i use an NVME SSD

2. will any slot M or M+B drive work?

3. any recomendations for a drive?

i7 6700k - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 - assorted other stuff

You can use any NVMe drive in that port. M is the designation for NVMe, IIRC. The Samsung 960 Evo is a good value. Patriot just came out with the Hellfire drive. BitWit did a build with it recently.

"You wouldn't worry so much what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do" -Eleanor Roosevelt 

NGFF stands for Next Generation Form Factor.

"You wouldn't worry so much what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do" -Eleanor Roosevelt 

1 minute ago, Matthew Grimes said:

You can use any NVMe drive in that port. M is the designation for NVMe, IIRC. The Samsung 960 Evo is a good value. Patriot just came out with the Hellfire drive. BitWit did a build with it recently.

thanks, thats what i was assuming. but you know what happens when you assume lol. mainly i was asking for a sanity check.

i7 6700k - Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 - assorted other stuff

the nvme is only useful if you do any rendering or video editing stuff because you need quick result but apart from that normal sata ssd's are good