Nvme M5 Turbo 64gb/s

Stoagmeyer

So I'm buying a M.2 tomorrow (intel 600p 512g) anyway my motherboard is the z170 MSI m5. The question I've come to is that the theoretical bandwidth of the damn thing could potentially reach 64gb/s ..... well yeah i know that is in the best of what ever's and what not's . Not expecting any of that kind of numbers what ever.  The question i have is does the "twin turbo" feature what ever MSI wants to call it is that only in work in raid? Is there raid on nvme m.2?  i have a 512g coming tomorrow just wondering where this 64gb/s comes from that they are stating. Any information would greatly be appreciated

I apologize for my lack of umm ahh... grammar words and smart talk.. but yeah is that number in raid or can i buy 2x 512  m.2 (same brand and size) and potentially  utilize that turbo feature msi is talking about and repping up. Or would i have to raid them to use the turbo feature...tbh idk how even to turn that on.. yeah... Help Please

Motherboard : MSI 170a M5

Cpu : Intel 6600k

Gpu : Red Devil r480 8g

Ram : 2x4g g.Skill 3200mhz C16

Hard drive : 500g 7200rpm,3tb,2tb all three different brands using 6gb/s sata III

SSD/Nvme: Intel 600p 512gb

11 minutes ago, Stoagmeyer said:

So I'm buying a M.2 tomorrow (intel 600p 512g) anyway my motherboard is the z170 MSI m5. The question I've come to is that the theoretical bandwidth of the damn thing could potentially reach 64gb/s ..... well yeah i know that is in the best of what ever's and what not's . Not expecting any of that kind of numbers what ever.  The question i have is does the "twin turbo" feature what ever MSI wants to call it is that only in work in raid? Is there raid on nvme m.2?  i have a 512g coming tomorrow just wondering where this 64gb/s comes from that they are stating. Any information would greatly be appreciated

I apologize for my lack of umm ahh... grammar words and smart talk.. but yeah is that number in raid or can i buy 2x 512  m.2 (same brand and size) and potentially  utilize that turbo feature msi is talking about and repping up. Or would i have to raid them to use the turbo feature...tbh idk how even to turn that on.. yeah... Help Please

the 64Gbps (Gigabits, not bytes.) is coming from the theoretical bandwidth of the PCI-E X4 standard that NVME uses x 2 (because RAID). That's 8GBps max bandwidth. 

With MSI TT you should expect around 3000+ MBps reads and 750MBps+ writes.

It's total fucking overkill, don't really bother. You won't notice the extra speed after around 2000MBps.

idk

15 hours ago, Droidbot said:

the 64Gbps (Gigabits, not bytes.) is coming from the theoretical bandwidth of the PCI-E X4 standard that NVME uses x 2 (because RAID). That's 8GBps max bandwidth. 

With MSI TT you should expect around 3000+ MBps reads and 750MBps+ writes.

It's total fucking overkill, don't really bother. You won't notice the extra speed after around 2000MBps.

Hey thank you for the information, I installed the ssd and everything went well. I did bench mark it using userbenchmark and the R/W seem a little low, see attached for screen shot. It says its good and its average, but still quite low from what I was expecting, and alot of people have reached way better benches on rigs thought i thought would be fairly equal to mine. I fee like I'm doing something wrong. I have updated bios. 

Nmve Bench.JPG

Hard drive : 500g 7200rpm,3tb,2tb all three different brands using 6gb/s sata III

34 minutes ago, Stoagmeyer said:

Hey thank you for the information, I installed the ssd and everything went well. I did bench mark it using userbenchmark and the R/W seem a little low, see attached for screen shot. It says its good and its average, but still quite low from what I was expecting, and alot of people have reached way better benches on rigs thought i thought would be fairly equal to mine. I fee like I'm doing something wrong. I have updated bios. 

Nmve Bench.JPG

I don't know that benchmark software but run CrystalDiskMark instead and show us the results (at something like 500MiB size). My guess is it's running in SATA mode instead of PCIe... although even that should give you 550MB/s read/write.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't realize that was a hybrid drive... that might be normal then. It only has a 17.5GB SLC cache (the fast stuff) so if your test exceeds its capacity or has to reference a sector not in the cache, you will drop down to the slower TLC speeds. This is especially true with random reads which will suffer the most. Here's some more info for you.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

1 hour ago, pyrojoe34 said:

I don't know that benchmark software but run CrystalDiskMark instead and show us the results (at something like 500MiB size). My guess is it's running in SATA mode instead of PCIe... although even that should give you 550MB/s read/write.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't realize that was a hybrid drive... that might be normal then. It only has a 17.5GB SLC cache (the fast stuff) so if your test exceeds its capacity or has to reference a sector not in the cache, you will drop down to the slower TLC speeds. This is especially true with random reads which will suffer the most. Here's some more info for you.

Thanks for the info, and that makes alot of sense. The website is called userbenchmark, the thing i dont understand is how some people are getting super close benches, something that looks alot closer to the advertised  1775 MB/s560 MB/s . Ill download crystal after windows does the cumulative update. Ill post pictures soon. 

12 minutes ago, Stoagmeyer said:

Thanks for the info, and that makes alot of sense. The website is called userbenchmark, the thing i dont understand is how some people are getting super close benches, something that looks alot closer to the advertised  1775 MB/s560 MB/s . Ill download crystal after windows does the cumulative update. Ill post pictures soon. 

It depends on where the data is pulled from and how full their cache is when they run the test. It can vary from one benchmark run to another, even restarting your PC or having open programs can effect the results with a hybrid disk.

With CrystalDiskMark you can choose the size of the test data to see how it affects performance. You can also use ATTO to give you a full picture at every size.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

1 hour ago, pyrojoe34 said:

It depends on where the data is pulled from and how full their cache is when they run the test. It can vary from one benchmark run to another, even restarting your PC or having open programs can effect the results with a hybrid disk.

With CrystalDiskMark you can choose the size of the test data to see how it affects performance. You can also use ATTO to give you a full picture at every size.

OK well i ran crystal, here is what it benched at also this is a fresh windows install and its just recently was update...from last post 

SSD bench.JPG

1 hour ago, Stoagmeyer said:

OK well i ran crystal, here is what it benched at also this is a fresh windows install and its just recently was update...from last post 

SSD bench.JPG

Now if you run it at the large size (16 or 32GiB) I'll bet it will slow down since all the cache will be used up.

Either way, it seems to just be an inherent property of the drive using a cache. It'll only be that fast sometimes depending on if the thing you're using is in the cache or not.

Primary PC-

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

Laptop-

Spoiler