Can someone tell me if this SSD will work for me?

TommyTheHeist

Hello all! I have H97 Gaming 3 motherboard and i want to upgrade from HDD to SSD M.2. The SSD that I want to get is this: http://ark.intel.com/products/94926/Intel-SSD-600p-Series-1_0TB-M_2-80mm-PCIe-3_0-x4-3D1-TLC#@specifications and now the question is, will this work for me? What confuses me is the interfaces. On MSI website about my MB, it says this: M.2 Slot 1x 2280 Key M (PCIe Gen2 x2/SATA) and from the picture of this SSD it seems that it is also M.2 slot, 2280 and key M, right? but it says that the interface is PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4. So, should I take it or naah? 

P.S. Im not asking for other alternatives (like, hey, get this better...) Im asking that someone could explain me differences between those interfaces and answer if this will work for me.

The M.2 will fit on the motherboard, though you should keep in mind that the Intel 600p are known for having issues with non-optimal cache configuration which makes it slow down severly during longer transfers or workloads. I was about to get it myself in the past, luckily people stopped me from doing so.

Also, I'm not sure what you will do on the computer, but just to clear things out -> you will see no benefit from NVMe M.2 over SATA SSD if you're only gaming as NVMe M.2 are more aimed at specific applications - such as dumping 200GB of photos from your pro camera using USB-C or Thunderbolt as fast as possible, or doing long video rendering sessions where the video file needs to be written as fast as possible.

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

Yeah, I will use it mainly for gaming. So you suggest me get regular SSD 2.5" or M.2 just without that NVME technology, yeah?